lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
10Brink
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default ‘01 ezgo PDS draining battery quickly

‘01 ezgo PDS 36v lifted & 21” tires so I know those factors have a negative effect, BUT....put new batts in August and drove practically every day or so. Charged after every use. Not a tire burner, but ran pretty nice! Left it on charger while we were out of town for OctNov. My guess is I have a charger that may have to be re-plugged after a drain....but I don’t know that. Came back and took the cart out. Bat drained in about 10 minutes. Came home and recharged. Next day it may have lasted 20 minutes. Did this several more time. Ran a diagnostic...nothing. I’m getting an electric meter to check the batts. To check individual batts, do I need to disconnect all cables or just make connections to each battery’s posts? Then to check batt pac, connect from #1 to #6? FYI-It’s cold here! Any other ideas? I’m severely electrically challenged, but wanting to learn! Thanks for any help! If I’m lame at explaining my problem, give me a push in the right direction.
10Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ‘01 ezgo PDS draining battery quickly

You don't have to disconnect the cables to check the individual battery voltages, just put the black test lead on the Neg (-) terminal and the red test lead on the Pos (+) terminal.

To measure the battery pack voltage put the black test lead on the Neg battery terminal that has a cable going to the controller and the red test lead on the Pos battery terminal with a cable going to the solenoid.

Cart batteries typically self-discharge at about 1% of SoC per day, makes and models of batteries self-discharge faster, some slower. You never want partially discharged batteries to sit for any length of time and the the longer they sit, the worse the damage becomes. When storing the cart for extended periods of time, the batteries ought to be recharged at least once a month, or use continuous float charging.

----------
You might, repeat might, be able to recover a bit of your battery pack's storage capacity be doing some back-to-back charges. Basically, initiate a new charge cycle an hour or three after the charger shuts off.

---------------
What make/model charger?
What make/model batteries?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
10Brink
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks very much Johnnie B. I’ve read (or at least tried to read) 100’s of your posts. I rarely understand any of it, but I’m getting there. I’ll get the requested battery and charger info tomorrow. Again, many thanks.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
swm63
Gone Wild

Might want to check the water levels on those batteries. Fill with distilled to 1/4" over the plates.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Charge it - run 5-10 minutes, recharge and repeat many times as Johnnie suggested you should recover some of the lost capacity.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Brink View Post
FYI-It’s cold here! Any other ideas?
As has been suggested, each individual battery voltage is important. Perhaps report the battery voltage in the current state (all individual batteries and the entire pack voltage).

Once that is done, give the batteries a full charge. Then disconnect the charger, let the batteries sit for 12 to 24 hours for the battery voltage to stabilize (with no cart use) and take the individual battery and battery pack voltages again. Compare the stabilized voltages against the attached State of Charge chart to determine how much of a charge they are receiving.

The COLD has a lot to do with battery performance ... but if the batteries that you bought for your cart are adequately sized (sufficient amp hours) then this should not be too much of a factor. For example, at 40 deg F a lead acid battery will have only 75% of its rated capacity, where at 80 deg F it will have 100% capacity. If your batteries are undersized (amp hours), then the cold could be a factor.

The repeated charges as JohnnieB and ScottyB suggested certainly can be beneficial, but it would be a good idea to get an evaluation of your current condition first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US Battery - Capacity vs. Temperature.JPG (63.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
10Brink
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, here’s an update....First, JohnnieB. Batteries are Deka Pro-Master 75 Amp rating 105 minutes Part #GC10. Charger is a Power Wise model 28115 GO4. I’ve been as diligent as possible with the back to back charges with run time after each. I started with total run time of 5-10 minutes before crapping out. I can now get 45-60 minutes before I get totally bored and park for more charging. Almost all of the running is full throttle, fast as it’ll go, up as many hills as I can find. That would be about 50% hills or nice inclines. Charge (bar) LED goes down about 3-4 bars by the time I park it. I’d bet about 15 or so minutes of driving left if I didn’t park it. CHARGING after the long rides: Hook up and takes about 2-3 hours to shut off. Immediately I un-hook and hook back up and charger kicks on for 28 minutes. I can do that all day! Charge, immediately recharge....repeat over and over. Don’t get it....THREECW, Thanks for weighing in! I’ve looked at a few “multi meters” in the last few days so I can join the “Big Boys”, but those things look like something out of a science fiction movie. Totally confused about what I need and how to use it. Sales people seem less knowledgeable than me, and that’s sad! I’ll get one and run the tests you suggest as soon as I can. Fingers crossed!
Old 12-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #8
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you have a hardware store nearby like Lowes or Home Depot you can pick up a voltage meter from them, they usually have a wide variety to choose from.

You can get one like this to replace the bar type one in your cart so you can monitor pack voltage to make sure you don't run them too low while in use.
https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-4-...tage+meter+48v
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
10Brink
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, Lowe’s and a couple of Auto Zone type places are who I was referring to in my last post.....They can’t tell me if the one I’m looking at will do what I want. I hear, “I don’t know if this is good for 6V or 36V”. If they don’t know, I certainly don’t. Thanks for the link!
Old 12-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #10
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow, 45 to 60 minutes of Wide Open Throttle? That's a heck of a recovery from a pack that would only get you 10 minutes before!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO