lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
artrockets
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1981 2cyl - Full Rebuild - Questions...

Hiya,

This website rules, it has helped me so much. Thank you all. I still have some questions I can't find answers to...

I have an 82' that works and is awesome.. I just received an 81' whose engine is rusted solid inside. As I removed the engine from the cart I could hear water splashing around inside... I removed the cylinder, the cam/bearings are rusted solid. I swear you'd think they were recovered from the Titanic.

This weekend I plan to pull the rusty cam out and clean up the engine case. I got a new cam/piston/cylinder.. the full rebuild kit you see for sale. In the past I have pulled the engine in my 82' to do some clutch work but have never opened the engine(I'v removed/cleaned the carb). I am confident I can put this other engine back together the way it was, but I am worried I am gonna miss some some detail or something I didn't know about. "You gotta do this first..." kinda thing... I have no manual. I have mb523's pictures of his top end rebuild, probably all the forum posts regarding my kind of cart and maybe that's about it.. Here are the questions I can think of...

1.When I put the engine back together, what do I grease the cam/bearings with? Do I pack the bearings with grease or 2-stroke oil or what?

2.Is there a trick to putting rings on a piston? is it easy or hard? is there a particular way/direction they go on? Is it easy to then cram it into the cylinder once they are on? Do I lube all this stuff with 2-stroke oil or what?

3.Is there any kind of engine timing I need to worry/be aware of? or is that controlled by those wires that come out of the engine and I don't really have to worry about it?

4.Is there any trick to pulling the engine block apart? it's seems harder than I thought and I don't want to crack anything..

5.Was I an idiot for buying the rebuild kit for this hunk of junk?

6.What have I missed?

If you have the time I would appreciate any response/advice to my questions and anything else you might know. I think I just barely know what I am doing, so anything will probably help me. I plan to take lots of pics and if successful I should be able to make a pretty comprehensive 'How To' to post here for the next guy..

artrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
EZ-GOnewild
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: 1981 2cyl - Full Rebuild - Questions...

Wecome artrockets!
EZ-GOnewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:59 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 1981 2cyl - Full Rebuild - Questions...

For starters, 2 strokes don't have cams. If you have all new parts and are just trying to use the case again then it might work. if your wanting to use the crank, bearings, seals again, your screwed. I would try to find an engine that hasn't been filled with water for rebuilding
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
mb523
Peanut

E-Z-GO

I will try to answer some of your questions here... the answers numbered like the questions:

1. Coat everything with 2-stroke oil and nothing else. Make sure the bearings have oil in them. Coat the cylinder wall and rings with oil as well as the wrist pin and wrist pin bearing. This oil is CRITICAL for proper lubrication for the few seconds the engine cranks before fuel mixture is introduced into the engine for the first time.

2. There is a trick for the rings.. but they are fairly easy. They go on a certain way. The rebuild manual I have says what needs to be done. (will provide link at end of post). I was able to compress the rings with my fingers and push it gently into the cylinder. Again, 2-stroke oil for lubrication.

3. Timing is taken care of by the flywheel. If the flywheel key isn't broken, you should be fine. Those wires should be for the igniter and tell the plug when to fire.

4. Not sure about the block... what is it that is giving you a hassle? The bearings?

5. I don't think so. You seem to be on the right track so far, and asking questions just helps even more!

6. Keep asking questions as things pop up!

Here is the TOP END rebuild manual that I have... should help some:

http://boxstr.com/files/2264059_df6i...%20REBUILD.pdf

Looks like you have some work ahead of you. In the end, the feeling of accomplishment will overwhelm you and it will be worth it! Looking forward to this build and to helping out!

Mitch
mb523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
artrockets
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks you guys for all the valuable information. I got the 2 halves of the engine apart but the shaft is still rusted to a bearing on one side and the other side the rusty bearing is not wanting to come out easily. I keep hitting with 'liquid wrench' and WD40 hoping enough soaking will do the trick.

I am posting all the info I have here for future reference...

Old 06-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
mitch_04
Not Yet Wild

Does anyone know if all the specs are the same for an 86?
mitch_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
mb523
Peanut

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_04 View Post
Does anyone know if all the specs are the same for an 86?
They are.
mb523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
artrockets
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Got it open finally... Take a look inside this engine.. Ack!?!!!..

The bearings are not coming out as easy as I hoped they would.. and that drive shaft seems to be rusted solid to one of the bearings...
Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
magnaschultz
Not Yet Wild

i am also the somewhat proud owner of an 81. hope things go well. i am probablt going to attempt the same thing this winter. i am currently having some fuel issues(i think)
magnaschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
caddymankc
WILD

E-Z-GO

Soak all the rusted parts in tranny fluid for a few days, that should take off most the rust and let you see if the parts are salvageable.
caddymankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO