lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery drain

I have a 36 volt ezgo dcs with alltrax xct controller.

I have kept good care of the batteries. Water always above plates.

There are no lights or voltage reducer hooked into the pack.

After full charging cycle...the pack normally reads around 38.7 after about 12 to 24 hours after changer shuts off.

I noticed the other day... After about 12 to 24 hours after charge cycle ended, the pack was reading 37.9. at that point i ran another full charge cycle and the same thing happened.

Even though the water was above the plates, I added water to the pack.

I also notified I had left the key in the on position....I turned the key to the off position and ran another charge cycle and everything seems back to normal. The pack is holding in upper 38.X range after being off the charger.

Is it possible there is some sort of battery drain with the key left in on position.

The only other odd thing... Is we had some unusual milder temperatures for a few days with lots of rain.

Any ideas or should I be concerned?

Thx

Skip

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery drain

There might be a wee bit more drainage when other than Neutral is selected on the F/R and the key is on, but probably not enough to make 0.8V of difference in a day. (Unless there is a problem in the control wiring causing a partial short.)

Same with temperature, unless it was a huge change. A 36V battery pack drops about 0.1V per 10°F lower temperature, so a 0.8V drop would be if the temp had gone from 80°F down to 0°F.

One thing comes to mind, possibly a bad or sticky pedal switch. That would have the solenoid energized whenever key was on and a direction selected.

Easy to check, you ought to hear solenoid clicking when key is turned on and off.

--------
You ought to be able to measure battery drain by putting an ammeter in series with any of the battery interconnecting cables.

Warning: There is going to be several milliamps of drain keeping the filter capacitors in the XCT charged and if you disconnect the battery pack very long, you'll get a high spike in current when you complete the circuit with the ammeter. The way I'd do it is take the interconnecting cable off, then hold it in place on the terminal while the ammeter is connected with clip leads. This will keep the filter caps charged and there won't be the huge inrush of current to contend with.

Also, don't push pedal or your ammeter will go into orbit.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
There might be a wee bit more drainage when other than Neutral is selected on the F/R and the key is on, but probably not enough to make 0.8V of difference in a day. (Unless there is a problem in the control wiring causing a partial short.)

Same with temperature, unless it was a huge change. A 36V battery pack drops about 0.1V per 10°F lower temperature, so a 0.8V drop would be if the temp had gone from 80°F down to 0°F.

One thing comes to mind, possibly a bad or sticky pedal switch. That would have the solenoid energized whenever key was on and a direction selected.

Easy to check, you ought to hear solenoid clicking when key is turned on and off.

--------
You ought to be able to measure battery drain by putting an ammeter in series with any of the battery interconnecting cables.

Warning: There is going to be several milliamps of drain keeping the filter capacitors in the XCT charged and if you disconnect the battery pack very long, you'll get a high spike in current when you complete the circuit with the ammeter. The way I'd do it is take the interconnecting cable off, then hold it in place on the terminal while the ammeter is connected with clip leads. This will keep the filter caps charged and there won't be the huge inrush of current to contend with.

Also, don't push pedal or your ammeter will go into orbit.
On DCS cart, do you hear the solenoid click when you turn the key on or when the pedal is pushed.

Seems like I would hear a click with the pedal being pushed?

The click is happening when the solenoid is energized?

Thx for help...I have had the cart for a while but will probably always be a newbie when it comes to this cart.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure if a DCS controller does it, but a PDS controller will sometimes close the solenoid for a few seconds when the key is turned on. Anyway, closing momentarily isn't an issue, staying closed without the pedal being pushed is.

Lift the seat, you ought to hear a pretty solid thunk when solenoid closes and a milder thunk when it opens.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO