lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
larry2of5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Late 70/Early 80 EzGo resistor Cart

I have a 1983 Mini T conversion on a late 70s to early 80s EzGo frame and electrical power/motor and need a service manual or at least a wiring diagram for the system. Problem i am having is that i am changing it to 48 volt (68 volt Batts) and need to put a voltage reducer for the lights and accessories.Had some lighting problems but after many hours of searching and taking a lot of tape off (i guess thats how they loomed them in 1983) i finally got all lights,turn signals and brake light to work (using a 12volt batt out of my RV). I bought a small aluminum cased 4inX2.5inX1.25in voltage reducer 36/48 volt to 12 volt, 10 amp on Ebay for a good price but after hooking it up as directed black to neg and red to pos(fused) input side to my 48 volt source both wires sparking a little, i then proceeded to try to hook up the output side blue to pos/fuse block and it was really hot sparked a lot, as did the black when i tried to go to a ground. To make a long story shorter the box was pretty hot to touch(not untouchable) so i tried to check the output volts and at this point did not get much .25 volts. Now what i need to know is what did i do wrong? Do i need a better/bigger reducer, better directions, (i guess you get what you pay for cheap$ not so cheap). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Electrically Retarded.
larry2of5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Late 70/Early 80 EzGo resistor Cart

Hello larry . Yes cheap is cheep. I bought one of those also .... it went in the trash also. They do draw a little juice and it is normal for them to spark a little when connected but spend $100 and get a good 25 amp model in my opinion....We have one running lights cel phone charger and an electric dump bed on one cart ...good luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
larry2of5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: Late 70/Early 80 EzGo resistor Cart

Thanks. It is always good to have a confirmation when you think you screwed up. I also had it driving around today and had some problem with the low speed contacts arcing and if you just stab the accelerator and let off quickly it will settle down if not it gets pretty hot. Is that just an alignment or a burnt contact or is because of the 48 volts vs 36 volts? oh yea, do you know how to get a service manual for the early cart on at least a wiring diagram that i can print. the one that i found on one of these threads does not print. Appreciate the help. Larry
Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Resistor carts don't like to go slow as in half throttle, and then you add 12 more volts and resistors really heat up. Either haul a** or change over to a controller.
Sounds like contacts have burred up. Check them out and file smooth if needed. Also check resistors to make sure none are broken. Broken resistors are hard on the speed control contacts.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
larry2of5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: Late 70/Early 80 EzGo resistor Cart

Hey, Mike thanks for the speedy feedback, will get on it in the morning if the problem what does it entail to add a controller and pot and what is the best route to go. I was telling Scotty that I looking for a Service manual with wiring diagrams. Being modified to the 29 Mini T stake bed it has some changes on body mounting steering and such and i noticed the difference on one diagram my cart has the resistor mounted vertically behind the speed board with the smaller wire on the bottom so im not real sure if it is late 70 or early 80 but any manual would help. Talk at you soon and thanks again. Keep it upright. Larry
Old 03-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can find some antique diagrams on vintagegolfcart.com google it ..... yours may not fit any of them you may have to just apply the theory I have heard talk of putting grease on (around) the contacts to minimize the arching? I haven't seen it applied so maybe someone who has can chime in?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
larry2of5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scotty, check out that web site and it redirects you to a lot of sources but did not find what i was looking for. I found a site golfcarcatalog.com that is working on some pics i sent and some motor specs to see if they can match it to the right service manual. Since it was modified, new Mini T (29 stakebed) body, frame modified to match body contours there doesnt seem to be any serial #. Motor is mounted parallel to rear axle and that seems to be consistent with a later year, maybe done by another owner after 1983. We will see. Oh yea, Mike, i cleaned up the speed board and the contacts and it is a whole lot better but still lights up when leaving the power contacts going the the neutral contact at the bottom of the board. Any ideas? And i dont mean your drivers license.lol Reading your thread on changing over to a controller i dont know if i could do it and i never did read of you got your problems figured out. As an after thought i think i will try the grease on the last two contacts Scotty and will report. Keeping the fire extinguisher handy. Thanks, Larry
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO