lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
Toby7777
Not Yet Wild

Default Intermittently dead RXV

I have a 2010 Rxv that seems to have a couple issues going on.

1st issue is that occasionally when the key is turned I get nothing. No clicks, no sounds. Toggle back and try again a few times still nothing. Wait a few minutes and Bam, I'm in business. It goes through the test and away I go. This has happened after 15 minutes of driving or after a couple days of sitting. Voltage at 50.23. I've tried the accelerator and brake pull up test-no change. I've tried the plug under the cup holder for a loose connection- it is fine. I've tried wiggling the key switch for loose connection-seems fine. I've checked all cables around batts and to solenoid- nothing loose.

2nd issue seems related. I'm driving along and suddenly brakes lock up. So I then turn key to off, back on, and nothing. Wait a couple mins and Bam, I'm back on the road. Kinda scary this thing just locks up and I'm stuck wherever it decides for a few minutes at a time. There is no real heat when this happens so I don't think it is getting hot.
Toby7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Intermittently dead RXV

I have to wonder if these are related, something like a bad main solenoid might explain both, as the brakes would lock up on lack of power since it is a parking brake it must be energized to allow movement. Early RXV's had lots of problems with the main solenoid, altough I thought that only effected the 2008/2009 models.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:25 AM   #3
Toby7777
Not Yet Wild

I was wondering if there just may be a loose connection in the harness somewhere. Would this issue happen if the accelerator pedal switch or brake pedal switch lost momentary contact? What circuits would cause lockup if there was a loose connection?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
Toby7777
Not Yet Wild

A little more info to add. I put the cart on jack stands and ran it for about 10 minutes. Everything was fine, I couldn't find any connections loose and no heat. Then within 5 seconds the "heat sink" ( Im guessing that is what it is under the seat) coils got super hot, began glowing bright red and 5 seconds later the cart shut down. Now it won't click or run its diagnosis. I'm sure that after 5 mins it will be ready to go again. Any ideas anyone??
Old 08-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Had one do the same thing, Replaced brake unit and all was well.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #6
Toby7777
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Big Block, I have a second Rxv here, I'll trying swapping out the brake.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Without putting a handheld to it, I'm thinking 1e on the below chart: Replace both the resistor and the bi-metal switch. I think the Bi-metal switch may have gotten damaged from excessive heat on the resistor and that is why it fails sometimes on startup.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MOTOR BRAKE LOCK UP - 8-22-11.pdf (38.5 KB, 0 views)
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
Toby7777
Not Yet Wild

Rabbit, Thanks for the info. Ok so far I've replaced brake. Still have problem. Runs for 3-5 mins fine and then suddenly the heat sink coil glows hot and cart shuts down. It takes about 5 minutes before the switch will run the startup test and all is good again. I got my hands on a handheld. Warning code is "drive fault". This last run with brake lockup the error code is 9024. The last run the code was 12833. I'll try rabbits idea now. Update coming soon.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

9024 relates to the motor, 12833 relates to a drop in the DC voltage...... Here is the advanced trouble shooting guide that should pinpoint your error for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 610873-RXV Advanced T-Shoot Guide.pdf (2.76 MB, 0 views)
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #10
Toby7777
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the resistor control module and so far all is good. I have about 45 mins drive time on the cart and no heat sink flare ups which seemed to shutdown the cart for 5 mins.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO