lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
Yamahama
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Genuine GX240 in G2/G9 what budget upgrades

Hi,

I've got a Yamaha G2/G9 (not sure what it really is) with Honda GX240 installed it. GX240 was free with very few hours on it. I received the cart for virtually free with no motor to replace my old '91 Marathon two stroke. Anyway, I'm ordering a Comet 780 for the primary clutch.

I've pulled the governor on the GX240 and I have a GX390 carburetor with free flow exhaust and car muffler. I want to get a little more performance out of the 240 without spending much money as the plan is to get the VC460 once I finish upgrading the suspension and other general maintenance and safety issues. The cart is mainly used off road, loaded with gear and people on hilly and muddy terrain. Torque is important. Cart runs 23" tires with a set of 25" tires waiting for a wheelbase extension.

What direction should go I with the 240 knowing that a 460 is planned for 2017/2018?

I was planning:
GX390 stock cam
Re-jetted stock GX390 carburetor with free flow airbox
custom car muffler exhaust similar to sho but swing arm mounted.
Stamped 1.3:1 rockers (Where can I get these? Are GX200 ones different?
35# HD valve springs
Heavy Duty Chromoly Pushrods
8 degree timing key
stock rod
uncut head

Ryan
Yamahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
fstg21
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Genuine GX240 in G2/G9 what budget upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahama View Post
Hi,

I've got a Yamaha G2/G9 (not sure what it really is) with Honda GX240 installed it. GX240 was free with very few hours on it. I received the cart for virtually free with no motor to replace my old '91 Marathon two stroke. Anyway, I'm ordering a Comet 780 for the primary clutch.

I've pulled the governor on the GX240 and I have a GX390 carburetor with free flow exhaust and car muffler. I want to get a little more performance out of the 240 without spending much money as the plan is to get the VC460 once I finish upgrading the suspension and other general maintenance and safety issues. The cart is mainly used off road, loaded with gear and people on hilly and muddy terrain. Torque is important. Cart runs 23" tires with a set of 25" tires waiting for a wheelbase extension.

What direction should go I with the 240 knowing that a 460 is planned for 2017/2018?

I was planning:
GX390 stock cam
Re-jetted stock GX390 carburetor with free flow airbox
custom car muffler exhaust similar to sho but swing arm mounted.
Stamped 1.3:1 rockers (Where can I get these? Are GX200 ones different?
35# HD valve springs
Heavy Duty Chromoly Pushrods
8 degree timing key
stock rod
uncut head

Ryan
Would go 4 or 6 degree key on pump gas.

Wait on the rockers. Same as GX390.

Everything else look good.
fstg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:58 AM   #3
Yamahama
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know I'm the right track. Just ordered a stock 390 cam, springs, push rods and a 4 degree timing key.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you are going to a 460 later, I think you are good. I'd get a nice header and muffler that flows I have a 1" made by robertson though his prices went up last time I looked. Going into a quietflow walker car muffler, its quieter than most utv but louder than a stock cart except at low throttle then its very quiet. It has a rotating coupling in it so my muffler is mounted on the frame not the cradle. I use a car airbox and piped it to the front to avoid dust. Those things would work well on a 460. Getting the exhaust sorted is one of the more difficult things with a swap.

Look on one of the kart sites like NR, iirc the GX160/200/5.5 &6.5 clones is the small block and the GX270/390/ 420 & 440 & 460 clones are the larger block and most parts are different from the small to big block families. IIRC the 240 is similar to the 270 but the heads are different on those smaller models than the 390 some run them for more compression on a 390/420. But 240-460 other than the heads, cams, bore/stroke are similar.

For offroad I can say the cut sheave on my secondary, the umax spring, and the HD kelvar belt are the best things I have done. They gave it lots of power holeshot and up. I've gone to a 94c clutch now and still sorting on it, but its working fairly well. But I do lots of stuff from towing to trails to yard work, it needs to be flexible to make me happy lol. That setup with the stock G9 clutch I drilled little holes in the weights is all, would hit shift rpm in 1-2 seconds from not running, with pedal start. I could spin the 22s pulling stuff except that is not always good lol. Anyway, even with the 420 that stuff helps me climb, if you stop on a hill it will take off, it will tow much better and handle weight much better. I can fill the box with dirt and pop wheelies taking off though I don't much as that certainly has to exceed capacity of the axle...but its fun lol.

I don't know what all is up with the 1.3 rockers and springs. Vegas had problem with springs and has new ones now, stopped selling the 1.3 rockers. I heard some broke the studs off with them but don't know if that was why. You have to remember the clones are made by different factories and the parts vary, one clone may have weaker parts in it than another. I run a lifan and 1.3 rockers and the old Vegas HD springs, I run stock valves with the button and stock retainer on both, the spring perch on both, and stock pushrods. I don't run it WOT down trails all day either, most trails there are tight you can't go that fast, and the cart gets used around the yard at low speeds of course, but I do wind it up past 4500 every day I run it. It runs great but others have had failures it could be usage it could be different brand motor had different stock parts that broke....I don't know. I plan to put different parts in it at some point soon just because reliability is important to me. You really can't count on 3600rpm stock parts when you run over 5K rpm. Its a really good reason to consider the 460 as it takes care of those problems but it was not here when I did my swap.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
Yamahama
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for all the info sho305!

I just got this cart last year after I got rid of my '91 Marathon with a 440 Rotax. the 440 would make the cart fly but anything less then WOT was hard to control. To pull a trailer the motor would either bog or light the tires up.

I got a great deal on my G2 (I think. Don't know hot to tell G2 from G9). It needs new front king pins, secondary clutch shoes and a lift kit. It also came with no motor and a rear end full of water.

I put the GX240 in the cart last summer but I used an olf Gator clutch that I was given that someone had bored out to 1" and had it drilled for a set screw. Unfortunately, the clutch wasn't bored straight so it vibrated like crazy with elevated rpm.

i bought a stock clone GX390 carb and stock clone 390 cam from china and I'm waiting for them to arrive. I'm in Canada so shipping and currency exchange from Vegas Carts is terrible. I ended up having to order my performance stuff from NR Racing Canada.

I ended up getting:

Spring, Valve, Heavy Duty, set (Fits 240, 270, 340, & 390s). Approx 50 lbs at 1.125 installed height, with 110 lb open pressure (.375 lift)

Key, Timing, Offset, Hondas and Clones 4 degrees

Heavy Duty Chrome Moly Pushrods. Considerbly stiffer than stock. Use with all HD springs. Capable of 10,000 RPM +. GX240/270s
5.720 Stock Length; Use with stamped Rocker Arms.

Exhaust Kit, Make Ur Own GX390

I still need to decide on a muffler and what airbox setup to use. I need to go find a small footprint car airbox and maybe some kind of small honda or Suzuki muffler.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
fstg21
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahama View Post
Thanks for all the info sho305!

I just got this cart last year after I got rid of my '91 Marathon with a 440 Rotax. the 440 would make the cart fly but anything less then WOT was hard to control. To pull a trailer the motor would either bog or light the tires up.

I got a great deal on my G2 (I think. Don't know hot to tell G2 from G9). It needs new front king pins, secondary clutch shoes and a lift kit. It also came with no motor and a rear end full of water.

I put the GX240 in the cart last summer but I used an olf Gator clutch that I was given that someone had bored out to 1" and had it drilled for a set screw. Unfortunately, the clutch wasn't bored straight so it vibrated like crazy with elevated rpm.

i bought a stock clone GX390 carb and stock clone 390 cam from china and I'm waiting for them to arrive. I'm in Canada so shipping and currency exchange from Vegas Carts is terrible. I ended up having to order my performance stuff from NR Racing Canada.

Airbox for the G2.

Gx390 generator airbox. Easily found online, even in Canada
fstg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
Yamahama
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstg21 View Post
Airbox for the G2.

Gx390 generator airbox. Easily found online, even in Canada
Would the generator air box be better then using some kind of automotive air box or a cone filter? How well does the generator work when it's down low on the motor? Sometimes I drive through water deep enough to half cover the clutches.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I used an airbox from the tech4 in a GM cavilier.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...lone-bb-5.html
Old 03-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #9
Yamahama
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I ordered one of those low profile "generator" air boxes for now. I'll see how it works out. Water will be less of a problem when I put the 25" tires on. For now, with the 240cc, I think 22" tires are as big as I'd like to go to maintain my hill climbing abilities. I also need the torque to get out mud bogs sometimes.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Best torque mods I did to my cart were the cut secondary sheave, it gives it a lower first gear. The umax spring keeps rpm up more. The HD kevlar belt is wider it acts like a shorter belt however it can creep if run with the cut sheave, but since I have pedal start its ok. Its a great belt and double cogged, you can move the engine back a little also to make it idle, it depends on what clutch you have, and its not much of an issue without a cut sheave. The umax works up to some higher speed maybe 2/3 full speed, the cut sheave only works under about 5mph, the belt works mostly at lower speeds and does not wear much at all. (far as the effect of each)

I still have the tube from the stock hurricane style airbox, I only used the part that mounts to the carb then put a radiator hose on that where the filter was. I plan to make an intake and remove all that stuff with just a big rubber hose to the airbox. The intake will be SS tubing and use a CV carb.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps