lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #21
fishsticker
Gone Wild

Default Re: What kills controllers?

Is there an alternative to purchasing the $933 controller that would be say less than $1500? I know it's just an estimate. I'm just wondering if there is a viable alternative without a complete re-design. Probably not a good idea to run two different controllers. I can only imagine the fun in trying to match the profiles.

I guess even a low hour machine could have been run hard and worn out the controllers. Previous owner does have young male children!

Or could I swap to two new controllers without serious mods to the setup for less?
fishsticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #22
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

I am out of my depth with the BBB sepex controls.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #23
rib33024

What is your battery pack volts? and each battery?. You said you had to add 4 gallons of water to the batteries before you charged them.? Low volts can kill a controller
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #24
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

^^^ agreed/ we all know volts plus amps =watts
If voltage is in low supply the motor will draw excessive amperage to compensate.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #25
fishsticker
Gone Wild

After charging if I unplug the charger it will cool down to around 50.5 volts after 24 HR. I don't run the cart hard at all and maybe that could be a problem also. Creeping around very slow 1 or 2 miles per hour lots of stop and start. I did check the cart when I got back after a long hunt probably about 5 miles and voltage was about 46 volts. I would have thought that it would have been protected from low voltage. If low voltage can damage it then that's also a possibility.

I did not check each battery after a trip but have checked them after charging and load testing. All did about the same. Load test brings volts on each battery down to about 6.2 +- .03 volts after they are freshly off the charger.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #26
fishsticker
Gone Wild

You know.... My load tester is only rated at about 100 amps. Is that enough of a load to really check these batteries? I wonder what the draw is at crawl speed on fairly flat ground.

We deal with VFD's in AC applications all the time. I would have thought that the way the controller regulates the power to the motor that would have resulted in low starting amps..... is that correct?
Old 04-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #27
fishsticker
Gone Wild

Called the local BBB dealer. They have a truck load of SEVCON controllers coming in later this week due to high demand. I'm going to buy the gold plated version for the rear motor. I think it's $50 cheaper. Im also going to pick up a digital voltage monitor so I can check the pack voltage during use. Looks like above 42 volts is good? Any recommendations on a good on board voltage monitor?

I'll keep you guys posted until I tire of spending money on this fine piece of outdoor equipment. Oh, I'm likely going to make a cover for the controllers or maybe mount them in a pelican box if I get real crazy when i change the batteries.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #28
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Who is you BBB dealer? I am trying to find a responsive one for front axle parts for mine.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:32 AM   #29
fishsticker
Gone Wild

Ascensiongolfcarts.com
Old 04-28-2015, 08:29 PM   #30
fishsticker
Gone Wild

I went out to the shop this evening and turned the key on..........front motor controller lit solid. No blinks. So I cycle the cart forward and reverse and it moves fine....then I hear what sounds like the front motor armature tic tic tic.....I put my hand on the front motor and it feels like the armature is trying to turn maybe hunting between forward and reverse. I turn the key off and it stops. I turn the key back on and now the front motor controller is blinking 5 and drops the contactor out.

I proceed to disconnect the leads to the front motor and perform the test procedure I found for sepex motors. It passed. I will run test it tomorrow just for grins.

So I guess that just further confirms the controller is fried and was sending some confusing signals to the front motor......

Revolution did you check with Ascension Golf Carts? I have only been there a few times but they seem very helpful.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts