lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #1
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Lift kit installed, now brakes are hanging up? shocks question

on my 99 DS, I got the 6" steeleng Lift and 23x10.5r12 wheels on this weekend. But I noticed after cruising it around that the brake pedal is hanging up underneath the cart, where the little piece is that has "teeth" that makes the parking brake stick. Not sure what I screwed up, or if this is common with a lift installation.

I have included a couple before/ after pics too.

My shocks were shot, so I am replacing those. As well as my bushings. I meant to order bushings before we started but i forgot

As far as shocks go, is everyone still using monroes from Advanced Auto or Oreilly?
Advanced part# 55829

or oreilly # 31176

or I found some on ebay

SO my main question is which set is the best? looks like advanced is slightly cheaper but I just want to make sure they are going to fit and I am not returning parts.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stock.jpg (103.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg lift1.jpg (118.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg lift2.jpg (116.7 KB, 0 views)
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Lift kit installed, now brakes are hanging up? shocks question

I took a couple pictures of where the brake is hanging up. the part that has the red arrows pointed toward it is the piece on the bottom of the pedal linkage.

the picture with the green circle shows where it is catching, the other picture shows where it should be if it was releasing all the way. None of these parts really look adjustable?

I thought about putting a little grease on it, perhaps it just needs a little lubrication to slip by? But the metal on metal is shiny, its clearly been working / supposed to slip as far as I can tell. I don't think we could have messed too much stuff up when we put the lift kit on , we only had to move the cables on the rear to the new brackets as far as doing anything with the brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ped released.jpg (71.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ped stuck.jpg (77.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd start by checking the cable adjustment. There should be a nut/jam nut where the brake rod splits to the 2 cables. In any of the lift kits I've installed, this is the only thing I've had to adjust on the brakes.

The little "wire hanger" things that hold the brake cables up near the front leaf spring mount don't work though, I just took them off and haven't had any issues. With a stock height cart, they may be a bit more necessary to keep the cables from dragging the ground. But once you lift them, the cables are plenty up high and out of the way. Those hangers for the cables pull them too tight and make the brakes hang up. at least on a DS. On my Carryall I was able to reuse them, I just had to delete the rear sway bar (DS does not have the sway bar)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I'd start by checking the cable adjustment. There should be a nut/jam nut where the brake rod splits to the 2 cables. In any of the lift kits I've installed, this is the only thing I've had to adjust on the brakes.

The little "wire hanger" things that hold the brake cables up near the front leaf spring mount don't work though, I just took them off and haven't had any issues. With a stock height cart, they may be a bit more necessary to keep the cables from dragging the ground. But once you lift them, the cables are plenty up high and out of the way. Those hangers for the cables pull them too tight and make the brakes hang up. at least on a DS. On my Carryall I was able to reuse them, I just had to delete the rear sway bar (DS does not have the sway bar)
I suppose the cable could be bound up, with just enough pressure that it won't return all the way. It will return to its original position when you hit a bump so it doesn't require a lot of force.

Going to try and crawl under it tonight or tomorrow. Definitely a lot easier to get under with the lift now
Old 05-28-2019, 10:08 PM   #5
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
you nailed it. turns out my left cable was out of the bracket slot because the wire that holds it in was missing, so i cut a new piece of wire for it. but all i needed to do was adjust the nut at the split because there wasn't enough spring tension on the pedal. youre the man!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
CWDunwoodie43
Getting Wild

Club Car

Which shocks did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
CWDunwoodie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWDunwoodie43 View Post
Which shocks did you go with?

Nobody responded yesterday and I was getting impatient, went with the advanced auto ones. They were the cheapest with a code in the top banner of the site that gave me 15% off. They still charge tax but it ended up being like $44 I think? I liked the color on my build too not that anyone would ever see them.

Got the rest of my bushings ordered so I can get it all done at once. I hope the new shocks don't pick the *** end of the cart up any more it has a slight lean forward - but I can live with it as it is.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #8
CWDunwoodie43
Getting Wild

Club Car

Yeah, I’m going too lift my 2008 Club Car - Precedent this weekend!

Went with All Sports 6” A-Arm lift and their Heavy Duty Rear Leaf Springs. Going too check out the shocks when I have it all apart!

CWDunwoodie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:42 AM   #9
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWDunwoodie43 View Post
Yeah, I’m going too lift my 2008 Club Car - Precedent this weekend!

Went with All Sports 6” A-Arm lift and their Heavy Duty Rear Leaf Springs. Going too check out the shocks when I have it all apart!

I saw in somebody elses thread that they should go ahead and order bushings, shocks, and possibly wheel bearings before they start their lift. To me, wheel bearings aren't impossible, I'll just do them when I need to. Not going to take the time and get covered in grease while I'm putting the lift on anyways. Maybe if I had it apart waiting on the lift but I didn't.

Bushings were a definite yes. I should have had those ordered for sure. Everyone one of mine was out, and I'm sure if they hadn't been, I would have needed at least a couple. those are going to be more of a pain to replace than the shocks because of getting the springs out of the way. Would have been easier to just have them ready. plus for the cost of bushings, you're not out anything to have them on the shelf for when they do go out. VS shocks that are ~$50 sitting around or being returned.

shocks don't look impossible - as long as they compress easy enough by hand I should be able to run the two nuts off and replace them. Worst part seems to be getting to the top stud but we will manage. It is crazy how much nicer it is to slide under my cart now with the lift and big tires
Old 05-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
I saw in somebody elses thread that they should go ahead and order bushings, shocks, and possibly wheel bearings before they start their lift. To me, wheel bearings aren't impossible, I'll just do them when I need to. Not going to take the time and get covered in grease while I'm putting the lift on anyways. Maybe if I had it apart waiting on the lift but I didn't.

Bushings were a definite yes. I should have had those ordered for sure. Everyone one of mine was out, and I'm sure if they hadn't been, I would have needed at least a couple. those are going to be more of a pain to replace than the shocks because of getting the springs out of the way. Would have been easier to just have them ready. plus for the cost of bushings, you're not out anything to have them on the shelf for when they do go out. VS shocks that are ~$50 sitting around or being returned.

shocks don't look impossible - as long as they compress easy enough by hand I should be able to run the two nuts off and replace them. Worst part seems to be getting to the top stud but we will manage. It is crazy how much nicer it is to slide under my cart now with the lift and big tires
I just repack my wheel bearings,no need to replace them they don't really go bad. The shocks should be easy. Bushings... well... I told you so most of the time they're completely gone. at least all of the fasteners have already been touched, so getting it all apart again should be a lot easier the second time around :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts