lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
lvandyke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default electrical problems installing digital volt guage

2001 TXT Sepex / PDS- 36volt
So I bought 2 hole plate and digital volt meter to install in dash- jumpered + from meter to key switch for on/off control of meter- worked fine for testing, came on & off w/ key switch on/off. I put it all together in dash- nothing. key switch seems dead, f/r switch silent, then noticed I did not put in tow before working. took jumper off key switch but still nothing.
is key switch fried? did I toast the cart? about to order new key switch. battery reads 36.7volts at terminals of all six combined. took off cover on charger port- reads 36.7 for pack voltage and looks good. oh...and now I have it in tow/maintenance.
tried for reading at key switch but nothing now. suggestions from here are appreciated.
lvandyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: electrical problems installing digital volt guage

Title could be a little better of an ad, but hopefully one of the gurus will get on this soon. It looks like the key switch gets it’s power from the controller?

While you’re waiting for someone who knows, you could try the advanced search. I’d look for posts from johnnieb about pds. He’s walked countless people through the steps.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
DrLove38
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Where did you run the other wire on the meter to?
It should go back to battery pack negative.
DrLove38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
lvandyke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I didn't know that and went to other terminal on key switch- may explain why it stopped working. I will be running both to batteries and not key switch. if neg goes to pack negative- where does positive go? first pos in battery pack?
Old 04-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you want it to be switched on and off with the key leave the positive hooked up at the key switch and run a negative wire back to the battery pack negative. Remember that there should not be any wires hooked to the frame, all grounds need to go directly to the batteries.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandyke View Post
I didn't know that and went to other terminal on key switch- may explain why it stopped working. I will be running both to batteries and not key switch. if neg goes to pack negative- where does positive go? first pos in battery pack?
Can you post a pic of your key switch and one of your meter? 3 position switch?

Almost seems like you shorted something putting it back in. Did you ever do any troubleshooting on getting the cart to go from that diagram?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
lvandyke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

its a 2 position switch and yes, I shorted out something I believe. I have a replacement switch and will run back to pack and battery. ill post update
Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
lvandyke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

update to electrical problems w/ DVM installation:
I have 36.2 at pack voltage, reed switch seems intact w/ full voltage readings, pulled cover off stock controller and all looks extremely good. traced key switch pins at J1#8, 9, look intact but of course no voltage reading. controller was in Maintenance mode- so would key switch get power? switch to run mode and recheck? I am cautious on doing much in run mode.

My question is how can I trace the 2 wires for key switch to find where it gets power from? Diagram on J1 looks like it gets power from reed switch at J1 connector pin #4
I'm using wiring diagram pg F-9 fig 9 from EZ GO repair and service manual.
thank for any suggestions. chasing sparks is not my forte
Old 04-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

These ought to help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage paths through PDS controller.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Jacks Pin-1 in red.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandyke View Post
update to electrical problems w/ DVM installation:
I have 36.2 at pack voltage, reed switch seems intact w/ full voltage readings, pulled cover off stock controller and all looks extremely good. traced key switch pins at J1#8, 9, look intact but of course no voltage reading. controller was in Maintenance mode- so would key switch get power? switch to run mode and recheck? I am cautious on doing much in run mode.

My question is how can I trace the 2 wires for key switch to find where it gets power from? Diagram on J1 looks like it gets power from reed switch at J1 connector pin #4
I'm using wiring diagram pg F-9 fig 9 from EZ GO repair and service manual.
thank for any suggestions. chasing sparks is not my forte
Is - how can I trace the 2 wires for key switch to find where it gets power from? the right question, or is "what's the most accurate way to utilize a piece of electronic/electrical monitoring equipment?"
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO