lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Tankfxr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default What can i do to a 94 medalist?

I recently bought a 94 mdealist. All i really know about it is that i need batteries. My father in law is an outboard dealer and sells both Interstate and Continental batteries, so i can get a pretty good price on batteries. From everything i read and understand it is a 36V system so that would mean 6-6V batteries. I have also been reading that with a different amp and larger cables it should not be difficult to convert to a 48V system while still using my 36V motor. I will mainly be driving on roads in my small town so im not sure if a 48V system is necessary but may be fun. My first thing is going to be to buy batteries and a charger which i do not have. Any leads on a charger? Just from what i see online they are kinda pricey. Just curious? Why cant i use 12V marine deep cycle batteries. If i used 6 of them but only made it so that both sets of 3 are 36v what would this do. Im no electrician so im just asking questions. Any help or ideas would be great. Thank you.
Tankfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Default Re: What can i do to a 94 medalist?

A lot - so much that you'll never really be done

Check out my Medalist here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...t-journal.html

Great cart man

post pics!
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The question of deep cycle marine batteries is often brought up. I don't believe that marine batteries are built for the type of sudden high amperage discharge that a GC battery pack gets when you mash the gas on a hill, draws in the hundreds of amps are common. Check with your dealer.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Tankfxr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The question of deep cycle marine batteries is often brought up. I don't believe that marine batteries are built for the type of sudden high amperage discharge that a GC battery pack gets when you mash the gas on a hill, draws in the hundreds of amps are common. Check with your dealer.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

It's not done....but mine is a 94.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...i-thinkin.html
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Here's my 1994 Medalist build. Your only limit is your pocket-book. :-)

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...r-project.html
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Tankfxr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Getting some great ideas. Was going to take some pics and post but I got a last min phone call and ended up going back to work. Will probably be gone about 2 weeks so unless i can get the wife to take some pics and sent them to me it will be at least that long before i can post any.

Thanks for sharing your project progresses. Im getting excited.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Tankfxr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Getting some great ideas. Was going to take some pics and post but I got a last min phone call and ended up going back to work. Will probably be gone about 2 weeks so unless i can get the wife to take some pics and sent them to me it will be at least that long before i can post any.

Thanks for sharing your project progresses. Im getting excited.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Tankfxr
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well i got into it when i got home. Bought the batteries from interstate. That was 700 bucks. Bought some 4ga welding cable and made my new battery cables. Put the batteries in, put on the new cables and guess what. Everything worked great. I drove around for a little bit and was happy with all but one thing. The brakes worked but the pedal did not return on its own. Got back to the house and started looking at stuff. Jacked up the front end and started looking. Well after about 2 seconds of contemplation i made the decision to tear her apart and do a rebuild. First I pulled the floor mat off. Guess what i found? RUST. Not just a little but the whole floorboard was rusted through on the passenger side. My thinking here was OK its just some sheet metal should be easy enough to fix. So i started by drilling rivets. Easy, then i discovered that the two stainless pieces on the sides needed to come off. Took them off and realized that I was in trouble. Where those pieces were the frame was rusted through. I guess when first looked at the cart and saw where someone had built their own battery tray for this thing that i was going to be in trouble. Anyway as of now i have it stripped down to wheels and axles. The only peice of the body i have left on is the front section of the battery box area. I am back at work now. When i get home i will finish tearing her down, then get the sand blaster out then add metal where is needed and then paint. Here are a few pics to show how bad it really is and what im going to be dealing with. If anyone has a line on a frame in the South Texas area that would be a much easier solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-08-07_15-55-37_872.jpg (196.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-07_16-33-23_789.jpg (146.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-08_15-33-01_790.jpg (217.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-08_15-33-04_957.jpg (320.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-08-08_14-53-30_290.jpg (213.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Wow, that stinks. That is really bad. I would not spend another second working on that cart if I were you. You would be much better off to find a solid cart to start with and just swap your new batts and cables to it. There are some threads on here where others have tackled carts in that shape and every one I have read said they wished they had not done it. Anyway, if you fix it post lots of pics! Good luck!
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO