lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
portworks
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Frame mod ?

1998 g16, 5" jakes lift.I like the ride of the stock springs, but the 22's rub back of fender wells with 4 pass. Has anyone cut the box frame portion just outside the rear body mounts and fender well liner to get enough clearance? Other options!
portworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Frame mod ?

I've done a lot of trimming on G9 and G1. On the plastic fender wells, I carefully heated the plastic and pushed it away.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The G9 it hit the liner ahead of the tires, I slit them and used galvanize wire to tie them back towards the frame for more clearance, can hardly see it. Problem is the cart sinks way down too, most get beefy-er shocks. I made my lift mount so it stood the shocks up and leaned them back more (has multiple holes to adjust) for weight in my dump box. Now I can fill it with dirt and the front of the cart will come off the ground and it rubs then, but likely too much weight for it anyway so I have not changed it. It only rubs on bumps if two people sit on the back of the bed. It does ride harder though and I don't like that. I really wish I could come up with a rising rate or dual system that was stiffer once it sank down some. I even considered a lever deal that would flip the shocks back to carry weight but that would be a pain to use.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
kellys~hotrods
Gone to refill cooler...

Yamaha

Have you considered air shocks on the back? You could change the "spring rate" to accomodate heavier loads that way. I have heard that the dampening on them is too stiff for the carts though.

Kelly
kellys~hotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
portworks
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have not ! I am going to try to shim under the bottom of the spring. (something plowmans said to try) but some of thr people are 275lbs x2 that i will have on the rear.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If I had the time to get my cart back in the shop, which I might maybe when I put the big block in it, I would chop off the rear frame and bumper and move it out. Then move the cradle back some, then cut the body out around the wheels and put big flares on it. I'd also widen my front lift or put a quad front on it if I had time but I don't.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
portworks
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So no one has tried this mod with any luck ?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Pics would help to know where you are talking about.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by portworks View Post
So no one has tried this mod with any luck ?
What mod exactly?

If you move the cradle back and move the bumper mounts out of the way, only then can you put larger than 22 or 23s on a yamaha unless you lift it to the moon which is unstable to trail ride. I would get rid of all that stuff and drop some real rubber (25 or 27s) on it if I was doing it today, sure, but in reality for what I do the 22s work pretty well. Its just that I use it so much it would have been well worth going further with it when I lifted it. Now I don't want it down because then I can't use it lol. My 22s measure 23 when I air them up and they just clear, with a heavy load they rub on bumps. I was able to just tie the plastic back a little to clear the tires. Of course I lifted it in '99 and 22s were considered huge back then.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts