lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EMP Motor squeal/squeak

Roady89, thanks for the advice. I am going to remove the motor tonight and check the input shaft and check the brake drums again for slippage (maybe I didn't check those as well as I thought I had). We'll see if I learn anything tonight. I'll keep you updated.

Do the bearings on the input shaft have to be pressed on or can I buy the new bearings and shaft/gear and install it without a press?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
The input shaft could be stripped. It may have "some" spline left bt when you added more power things start happening. If the motor acts anything like mine did in speed mode it put out a lot more power. So much I just locked it in speed mode, had no use for torque mode. If the splines are stripped on the diff it fairly easy to replace....one snap ring I believe and the shaft comes right out. Of its the motor coupler thats a different story. Thats the only thing I can see doing something like that. Its not that uncommon either. It happened to me once and sounded like that. It would halfway move until we got it under a good load.
buddy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #22
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I got an e-mail from Chuck saying that the first motor I sent back tested fine and there wasn't anything wrong with it mechanically or electrically. I trust him so it must be something on my end for two motors to do the exact same thing.

I am gonna check everything again tonight. You know the old saying, "measure twice, cut once". Well it might turn out that I need to "check everything twice and cuss once" !!

I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #23
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here are two new videos. One proving it isn't the hubs stripped and the other showing the input shaft and the cupling on the motor. There is alos a pic of the input shaft. WHen I took the motor out the coupling was very hot from what I still believe is the slipping.....You tell me what else it could be?? The only other trick I know to prove it is the coupling is to use a sharpie marker and make a mark on the coupling and the face of the armature, reassemble it, run it then remove it to prove or completely disprove my theory....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102.jpg (59.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #24
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The shaft looks fine....cant really tell on the motor coupler. (just looking at it the splines look shallow to me) Something is surely slipping. Theres a snap ring right there....ya think you might be able to pull the snap ring and pop out the shaft to look at it?

"If", and thATS A BIG IF....the inner bearing was shot I could see it causing problems...but you would think it would do it all the time. Theres any number of us if we were there it would be a no brainer.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #25
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll borrow some snap ring pliers from work tomorrow and pull out the input shaft. After I pull out the input shaft inspect it and re-install it, I am also going to mark a distinct line on the motor coupling where it meets the armature and then reinstall it then run it, and pull it apart. Anyone want to take any bets that the coupling is slipping? I will video tape the me putting the mark on it and also when I pull the motor out.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #26
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I was thinking the coupler is slipping on the armature.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #27
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
I was thinking the coupler is slipping on the armature.
Looking that way, but this is the second motor, and the first one checked out OK.
gornoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #28
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Looking that way, but this is the second motor, and the first one checked out OK.
It is strange that this motor is doing the same thing as the other one so I am going to try to rule out anything else on the cart. So this afternoon I am going pull out the input shaft and inspect it. If it is okay I am going to resinstall it. THEN I am going to put a mark with a Sharpie marker on the coupling down to the face of the armature then reinstall and run the motor.

When I pull it out if the marks aren't aligned then I know 100% that the coupling is slipping. If they are aligned it is back to the drawing board.

Question: Is the pinion gear on the input shaft machined as part of the entire piece or is this gear put onto the input shaft with a key? If there is a keyway and the key is missing then it could slip that way.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #29
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay so this evening tests are complete...to sum it up here is what I did. Remove the input shaft and inspect it...no problems. Then I made a mark on the coupling and armature, re-installed the motor and recreated the noise. Pulled the motor out and the marks were still aligned. Pulled the diff cover off and inspected the rear diff and it appeared to be fine. The only thing left is if there is a gear in the differential that is mounted on a shaft with a key and key way. That is all that is left to slip.

So if anyone else doesn't have any ideas around what I should check then I am going to classify it as an unidentified electrical noise in the motor!!

I am going to touch base with Chuck tomorrow and let him know what I found. I spoke with him briefly today and told him what I was going to do this evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0130.jpg (57.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #30
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Now I can see the motor splines good...they are perfect. I dont think its motor related since its done it on both motors. This is a tuff one....the axles where they go into the diff could be stripped too but you should have seen metal flakes in the oil if that were the case.

Send check the links to the videos, see what he thinks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO