lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
zajacste
Not Yet Wild

Default Inductive Throttle Sensor

I have an EZGO electric golf cart that will not move, and I suspect the Inductive Throttle Sensor (ITS). I measured the DC resistance to be about 3 Meg-ohm, which seams very high for an inductor. Does anyone know what the DC resistance of the ITS should be?

I was also wondering if someone could point me to more information on how the ITS works. My next step is to hook up an oscilloscope and see what I measure.

Thanks
zajacste is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Inductive Throttle Sensor

I wish I could help right now.....but we have a couple of guys that will chime in shortly.....in the mean time......

Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
wthompson912
Getting Wild
Club Car

This is for Series cart, PDS will be different. Place rear of cart on jack stands, tire off ground. at the pedal box probe white wire at ITS with + probe and - probe on B- battery. direction selector in 'F' and key on. depress accelerator pedal just enough for the solenoid to click, DVOM should read 0.4 - 0.6 VDC. With pedal fully depressed it should read 1.5 - 1.7 VDC.
wthompson912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Test procedure from the repair manual...... readings for different make controllers will be different as the controller sends the voltage signal to the ITS initially.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo ITS testing.jpg (281.3 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zajacste View Post
1. I have an EZGO electric golf cart that will not move,
2. and I suspect the Inductive Throttle Sensor (ITS).
3. I measured the DC resistance to be about 3 Meg-ohm, which seams very high for an inductor. Does anyone know what the DC resistance of the ITS should be?
4. I was also wondering if someone could point me to more information on how the ITS works.
5. My next step is to hook up an oscilloscope and see what I measure.

Thanks
1. Need to know what drive type the cart has to troubleshoot it. It it series, DCS or PDS?
a. No matter what it is , the first question is: What is the pack voltage? (A fully charged 36V battery pack should read 38.2V)
b. The second question is: Does the solenoid click?

2. Determining if ITS is good/bad is about step twelve and we haven't completed step one yet.

3. That is about right. It is a very log, very thin wire.

4. Exactly how the EZGO ITS works is something I've wondered about also. Since the sensor only has two wires, it is an inductor rather than a Hall Effect device.
The plunger that is inserted into the coil by the throttle pedal is a ferrous material, so the inductance is increased when it is inserted.
Voltage on one wire stays the same, but the voltage on the other wire increases as plunger is inserted into coil, so there is more going on than what meets the eye.
Whatever is happening, the voltages that should be measured on the two wires under given conditions are fairly well defined, so the ITS can be Go/No-Go checked.
Note: Different controllers use different voltages,, so be sure you have the right specs for the controller the ITS is being used with.

5. Put your scope on it. I'm curious it they are feeding the ITS coil with pulsed DC.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
zajacste
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the welcome and the help.

The cart is a DCS. Pack voltage measured 37-38 volts, and all cells were above 6 volts. Not sure about the solenoid clicking, but I did check the ignition switch, the micro switch in the pedal box, and the forward reverse switch.

About the inductor measuring 3 Meg-Ohm, I though about it a little more. Using wire gauge info (http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm) for 40 gauge, the thinnest highest resistance wire I could find, 3 Meg-Ohm would be 541 miles of wire... Or to put it another way, 258 cubic inches of wire. I think I got my answer; if this is an inductor, it is definitely an open circuit.

I'll try the voltage test next time I get my hands on the cart, but I am working on it for a relative, and it might be another month before I get to work on it again. The solenoid seems cheap, so I might just replace it for good measure.

Here are the parts I am looking at getting; does anyone have recommendations on suppliers?

Throttle Position Sensor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Z-Go-ITS-I...item19c402d871
Relay:
Amazon.com : E-Z-GO 27855G01 Solenoid-36 Volt #124 Series : Golf Carts : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : E-Z-GO 27855G01 Solenoid-36 Volt #124 Series : Golf Carts : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thanks again.
zajacste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I got similar resistance readings from a working ITS using a digital ohmmeter. However when I used an old fashion analog ohmmeter I measured 39,000 ohms which is still high for a inductor. I suspect there is a hall effect device imbedded in the ITS. Both meters read the same using various values of resistors.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a used ITS that is good. I would take $30 shipped. FWIW
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I got similar resistance readings from a working ITS using a digital ohmmeter. However when I used an old fashion analog ohmmeter I measured 39,000 ohms which is still high for a inductor. I suspect there is a hall effect device imbedded in the ITS. Both meters read the same using various values of resistors.
I've never seen a hall effect device with only two wires, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, only that I haven't seen them.

My guess is that it is a simple coil made from a very long length of very fine wire, but I might be wrong.

Another reason for leaning away from a hall effect device is because EZGO started using the ITS throttle in the early 90's, so it has to be mid to late 80's technology and did hall effect devices small enough to fit in the sensor package exist back then?

It would be interesting to find out what is inside an ITS sensor, but I don't have a bad one to take apart and it would be interesting to find out what the controller feeds them (DC, PWM, constant voltage, constant current...), but I never thought of doing so when I had access to a scope.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I've never seen a hall effect device with only two wires, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, only that I haven't seen them.

My guess is that it is a simple coil made from a very long length of very fine wire, but I might be wrong.

Another reason for leaning away from a hall effect device is because EZGO started using the ITS throttle in the early 90's, so it has to be mid to late 80's technology and did hall effect devices small enough to fit in the sensor package exist back then?

It would be interesting to find out what is inside an ITS sensor, but I don't have a bad one to take apart and it would be interesting to find out what the controller feeds them (DC, PWM, constant voltage, constant current...), but I never thought of doing so when I had access to a scope.
I looked at the voltage with a scope and it had a sawtooth type waveform riding on it but not pure DC. I will no more investigating with a scope with this when I get the time.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO