lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Superman51
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Protech onboard charger question?

Hello everyone. I just bought a Protech 48V onboard charger for my ezgo. A friend recommended it to me but is now out of town and I need some help. I’m not sure if anyone has one of these chargers but it is made by On Board Solutions and looks fairly easy to operate. I understand how to hook it up to my system with the DC outputs, I’m just not sure about the “interlock/inhibit quick disconnect connector”. From the instructions it looks like this may connect to the controller to prevent operation if charging? I’m not sure if I even need this outlet but I just want to make sure before I install it. Thanks
Superman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Protech onboard charger question?

You don't need it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
Superman51
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

great, thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Great chargers, be careful where you mount it, they are not waterproof and need to stay dry.
I agree with ScottyB you don't need the interlock function.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Superman51
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. The thought of putting it in one of those storage trays that go underneath the seat. I wasn’t sure how deep they are though. I was going to see if I could find some measurements out there and see if the charger will fit. If so, that would be great and keep it pretty dry. I would probably have to raise that seat when I charged it so it wouldn’t over heat. I will try to attach a picture of what I’m talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41wUL4UMlAL__SS500_.jpg (20.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Accessories-Underseat-Storage-Tray-large.jpg (44.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

If it will fit in the tray that would work well.
I have a non waterproof onboard charger that I screwed to the wall in my garage and put my regular charger cable on it and plugged into the existing receptacle on the cart. I only recharge at home so I didn't need the mobility of the onboard setup.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Carefully read the manual that came with your charger. Do not put it in the storage tray. The charger has fans and needs 4-6 inches of free air space on all sides of it to properly cool itself. Also it is a water resistant unit. Contact me if I can help. I am a Protech dealer.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 AM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Carefully read the manual that came with your charger. Do not put it in the storage tray. The charger has fans and needs 4-6 inches of free air space on all sides of it to properly cool itself. Also it is a water resistant unit. Contact me if I can help. I am a Protech dealer.
I agree that it needs air circulation space but the OP said he was going to charge with the seat up.

I didn't know the golf cart ProTech's were water resistant, I guess I'm still learning. The only Protech Charger I have been involved with is the ProTech C4815, which is not water resistant. They are used in 48v yacht battery banks and have a fan and air circulation vents. The main power connection done with an IEC voltage input connection just like a computer power cord.

I'd be interested in these for marine applications as we get water and hose down situations that are not good for the chargers.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Superman51
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I was definitely going to charge with the seat up. I’m not sure which charger model I have but the instructions said that it is not water proof and water will void the warranty. It is the 48V golf cart charger. I was thinking about building two legs with a hinge to put under the seat. That way when I raise the seat I can put them out to hold the seat up and allow circulation for charging. Just tossing up ideas, I’ll probably play with it a little more.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
CamoCart
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Does anyone have pictures or other ideas with pictures on how to mount these so they stay dry? I just purchased one and need to mount.
CamoCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO