lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
brendanstl
Not Yet Wild

Default Winter storage

I am planning to take the batteries out of my cart today and store them inside in the basement, is this safe? I was wondering if i need to wire them together and put a trickle charger on them for the next four months. Could someone give me some ideas here or some suggestions? If i can keep them in the cart and hook a charger to them for the winter in my pole barn that would be the best solution but our winters get well below zero here for quite a while.
brendanstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
sunking
Gone Wild

Default Re: Winter storage

Well the best solution either in the cart or inside is to use a 3-stage charger that has a float mode. All float means is the charger delivers a constant voltage of 54.2 volts indefinitely.

Second best method is to just fully charge them, and bring them indoors. Then every few weeks or so top the charge off to overcome the self discharge of the batteries.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you charge a 36v pack at 54.2v you will cook it. 54.2 would be about right for a 48v pack. Google 36v battery maintainers and you should find what you are looking for.

One of the Forum sponsors may have one.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
If you charge a 36v pack at 54.2v you will cook it.
I assumed he has 48 volt.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

As long as you have good water levels in the batts and keep them charged you should be ok!! We will leave our elec carts out all winter. But we put a full charge on them and either flip the tow button or disconnect the batts that way you will kill the circuit. Just keep an eye on them if they start to freeze them bring them in! We have pretty harsh winters up here as well.
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sunking,

Sometimes it is not a good idea to assume. Checking the OP's previous posts indicates he has a '88 resistor cart. No indication it is 48v.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO