lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
MeterManMatt
Not Yet Wild

Default 2015 EZGO TXT no solenoid activation/ low volt on small posts

Hello. So I have a 2015 EZGO TXT 48V that will not go. It was working fine one day then started having issues. It would start and begin to go but then would kind if get jerky and then stop. Now it wont do anything. Measured battery pack at 50.5 volts and same from B- to Solenoid battery side big post. The solenoid does not click. There is only 15 volts on the small posts and 15 on the controller side big post. The 500 ohm resistor seems to get very hot. I also installed a brand new solenoid but still nothing. I have 50 volts on pin 4 from the charge/disable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to test all the switches but I'm not sure what the voltages should be on them and which leg to test. Also do I test them all with black lead on B-? Thanks.
MeterManMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2015 EZGO TXT no solenoid activation/ low volt on small posts

someone with more knowledge will chime in shortly but from what i've gathered on this topic, resistor getting hot and solenoid not clicking COULD mean bad controller. don't quote me but search this website for "hot resistor" or similar and read thru.
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterManMatt View Post
Hello. So I have a 2015 EZGO TXT 48V that will not go. It was working fine one day then started having issues. It would start and begin to go but then would kind if get jerky and then stop. Now it wont do anything. Measured battery pack at 50.5 volts and same from B- to Solenoid battery side big post. The solenoid does not click. There is only 15 volts on the small posts and 15 on the controller side big post. The 500 ohm resistor seems to get very hot. I also installed a brand new solenoid but still nothing. I have 50 volts on pin 4 from the charge/disable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to test all the switches but I'm not sure what the voltages should be on them and which leg to test. Also do I test them all with black lead on B-? Thanks.
There ought to be full battery pack voltage (50.5V you said) on all switches, unless your cart has lights, then there will be 12V on two of the keyswitch terminals.

The 15V on the solenoid's small terminals indicates there is a problem with the keyswitch. The small terminal should have pack voltage on them until pedal is pushed, then one goes to B-, which activates solenoid. (Controller applies B- to solenoid's blue wire, pedal switch out pack voltage on pin-6, which tells controller to connect B- to blue wire)

Normally the 500Ω precharge resistor keeps the filter capacitors inside the controller charge up to a voltage near the pack voltage to reduce the amount of arcing on the solenoid contacts as they bounce upon closure. It it that charge on those capacitors that move the cart a bit when the pedal is pushed and with the solenoid not closing, the motor tries to draw several hundred amps through the 500Ω resistor, which gets mighty hot mighty fast and the cart doesn't move very far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48v TXT diagram.JPG (95.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #4
MeterManMatt
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I measured the voltage at the key switch and it's only 15 volts. Same as the small post on solenoid. I measured pin 4 the reed switch charger discharge and it shows 46 volts but the pin to the keys witch shows nothing. The pin across from 4. Any ideas?
Old 06-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check the voltage in and out of the Run/Tow switch.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:51 PM   #6
MeterManMatt
Not Yet Wild

Where exactly would I check that? Do I unplug it from the cover and measure the voltage in then plug it back in and measure the voltage out on pin 9? Or some other way?
Old 06-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the wires are not long enough to get to the Run/Tow switch terminals while it is mounted to the cover, dismount the switch from the cover.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Seeing more issues like this. There is a wire junction near the run/tow switch that feeds the other circuits. I have seen quite a few of these fail causing either no voltage or low. Look in that wire loom for that splice
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
MeterManMatt
Not Yet Wild

Ok so when I measure voltage at the run tow switch when switched to tow it reads 47 volts. There is 50.5 system volts. When I switch to run and measure the other side of the switch it reads around 37 but quickly begins dropping down to about 25 volts. What could cause that? Thanks.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
MeterManMatt
Not Yet Wild

I also noticed that with the switch in tow and my red lead on the controller side large post of the solenoid I have 46 volts. When I switch it to run this voltage drops also down to about 25 volts. What would cause this voltage to drop?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO