lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
Tommyr1k
Not Yet Wild

Default Help picking out a new motor

Hello all. I recently decided to build a custom 96 EzGo 36v golf cart keeping my budget low however it’s spiraled out of control and I now believe I will be needing a new motor. Originally I thought I only needed battery’s and a controller so I purchased new 6v battery’s and an alltrax XCT500DCS controller. Unfortunately if I knew it needed a motor I would have went the 48v route. so I want to get everyone’s opinion on what motor you think I should purchase. I’ve looked at the plum quick motors but not sure which one is right. Is there a motor that will run 36v and 48v with no problem? I’d like a motor capable of handling 500amps. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tommyr1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help picking out a new motor

Most all of them will run either 36 or 48; including the stock series motors. Plum Quick builds them for specific applications, torque or speed, or a combination thereof; you'd want to tell them the specifics of your cart and your intended use and they will point you in the right direction.

You could also take it to a local electric motor service and have them "freshen up" your current motor for a bit less.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Tommyr1k, you posted this in the Lithium section. I don't think "everyone" with EZGOs look here.

Why do you say you need a new motor? What problems are you having?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob1969 View Post
Most all of them will run either 36 or 48; including the stock series motors. Plum Quick builds them for specific applications, torque or speed, or a combination thereof; you'd want to tell them the specifics of your cart and your intended use and they will point you in the right direction.

You could also take it to a local electric motor service and have them "freshen up" your current motor for a bit less.
OP has an XCT500DCS, so no series. I think I read SepEx motors are OK with 42 volts, but don't hold up as well at 48?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
Tommyr1k
Not Yet Wild

Sorry I’m not sure why it posted here. The reason I’m leaning toward a new motor is because it’s the only thing I haven’t replaced. When I originally purchased the cart the solenoid wasn’t clicking and the blue wire to solenoid wasn’t grounding. That’s why I installed a new controller. I’ve bypassed the charger wire. Not sure what else it could be.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
Tommyr1k
Not Yet Wild

If I get a new motor I’d like one capable of handling 48v as well as 36v. If that’s possible

Old 03-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
What problems are you having?
I understand you've replaced everything else, but what is the issue you are trying to fix?

No go?
No go fast?
No torque?
Does it get too hot?
Does the solenoid click to the rythm of La Cucaracha in Morse code?...

Knowing the problem will help identify the problem before you spend more $$$ on a motor that may be just fine.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
Tommyr1k
Not Yet Wild

No go. Originally the solenoid wouldn’t click. Now it clicks and everything works as it should except the cart won’t move. With the rear wheels off the ground I can spin the wheels with throttle mown and it will continue to spin for about 2-3 revolutions then stops.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If your motor's not bad, buying a new one won't fix anything, which is why I asked, what's wrong.

Have you tried checking continuity between rotor terminals, stator terminals, and rotor to stator? SepEx motors can be run with 12 or 18 volts, running the rotor and stator in parallel. Only do this with motor attached to rear-end.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
Tommyr1k
Not Yet Wild

That’s the problem is I don’t know if my motors bad or not. It’s going to a motor shop tomorrow to be sure. I’m only asking for suggestions because I believe that’s where it’s going. I did jump with 12v battery and it did run (slow) but I’m certain that doesn’t mean everything is good. Yes I did test motor according to this picture and the only thing I noticed off was s1 to s2 showed 2.5 ohms. Everything else was within spec but again this test does not give you a definitive answer.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #10
Tommyr1k
Not Yet Wild

Also when I said in the previous message that the motor spins 2-3 times it spins very very slow with no power. Attached is 2 screen shots of the actual values of my controller (first with no throttle and second wide open throttle)

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO