lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
Mhaire
Not Yet Wild

Default No power to the Wheels

New to the BGW and golf carts as a whole. I inherited a Hyundai electric golf cart over the weekend. The body is in great shape. Seats look almost new. Some paint flaking on the frame but no rust. After a quick wash job it looks like new. That's the great!

The concerning...I don't like to say bad:

No power to the wheels. Trojan-605 batteries...6v...36v cart. Verified the battery wiring pattern per diagram. Tested each battery individually and they all test at 5.8 - 6v. Checked the bank as a whole and it comes in at 35.6V. Replaced the two fuses I saw as a maintenance thing - none of them damaged, just wanting to rule them out for sure. The cart does roll freely and both the breaks and parking breaks work.

So...lights don't work. I'm assuming that's the button beside the F/N/R switch. No real loss unless I get it to move. The battery level meter (needle type) on the dash is registering zero. No forward motion. When you put it in reverse the alarm activates but when you push the accelerator, the alarm slowly fades and still no movement.

From what I found but have not had a chance to test is that it may be the power controller...$150 on ebay. Read that you could do a spark test on the solenoid to make sure there is fire there. Also read that you could jack it up and run by-pass wires to posts on the motor to make sure that it's not froze up.

I have read and understand that Hyundai only made these carts a short time...I think 5 years in the early 90's and that parts are scarce. Supposedly they were manufactured using a lot of Yamaha parts.

So any ideas on what to do or check?
Mhaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: No power to the Wheels

35.6v = dead batteries. Does the charger work?
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Mhaire
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
35.6v = dead batteries. Does the charger work?
I don't think it does....when you plug in into the cart, the gauge on it doesn't move at all...no humming sound like you would expect, no fan sound. I do have a multi volt trickle charger that does 6-48v. I just wasn't sure the best way to hook it up. Do you put it on the first positive post and then the last battery post in the series?

I do have a local battery shop that has PowerMax by Trojan batteries. Everything that I've found on those say they are good as long as you break them in correctly and keep them maintained.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I'm not a sparky guy, but I'd try charging each battery individually first. I think some chargers need to see a minimum pack voltage before they will turn on.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
Mhaire
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
I'm not a sparky guy, but I'd try charging each battery individually first. I think some chargers need to see a minimum pack voltage before they will turn on.
Cool, I'll give that a shot first. What should the voltage be for good batteries?
Old 08-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
crash test dummy

dave is correct most chargers need to see 30v to turn on

fully charged batteries should read 38.2v after 12 hours rest

Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
Mhaire
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
dave is correct most chargers need to see 30v to turn on

fully charged batteries should read 38.2v after 12 hours rest

Ok, I may just bite the bullet and get the new batteries...just like us they all have to die sometime
Old 08-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Check the batteries first under a load, make sure they are not dropping out.
Controller was a common issue, but it can be rebuilt.
Once you know you have power, you can just jump the controller out and see if cart runs. Forward/Reverse switch was a problem area, but easy fix.
Start with power and go from there, the cart is easy to figure out.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
Mhaire
Not Yet Wild

Well, I've been busy on a lot of other projects...largest one....bought a camper that was "totaled". I love how insurance companies total something that needs minor repairs. Needed 2 new axles, wheels and tires. Other than that, it just needed a GOOD cleaning, a little maintenance, a new mattress, new TV...badda-bing! Like new 2012 camper. Literally owned by a little retired couple. The thing looks like new!

Ok, that was a tangent. I did what you guys suggested (thanks for that) and the batteries were bad. Took them and had them tested. Bought a new bank of batteries. Put them in...and badda...no bing. I have lights, I get the buzzer when it's put in reverse but she no move...grrr. Double checked the battery order to make sure the path was right. Took a tester and no juice getting to the motor. Started back off the battery leads. I have power till it gets to the control box maybe? Not a cart mechanic and I've got zero paperwork. I've been looking for documentation. I wanted to pick the brains of the pros while I was at it.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I don't know anything about those carts. But, with new batteries and you are tinkering with it, make sure you have the rear wheels off the ground. If that thing takes off it could kill you or somebody else.

Yes, it has happened before.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts