lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
ScottA58
Not Yet Wild

Default 2012 Bad Boy Buggy will not move

I have been reading this Forum for a while but this is my first post. Sorry for the length of this post, but I wanted to provide as much info as possible about the problem I am having.

I purchased a used Bad Boy Buggy Classic 2013. The cart is a 2012 model that was manufactured 5/2012 at the EZGO plant in Augusta GA (90 miles from my home).

The cart has run flawlessly for almost 4 years. This past March prior to the start of turkey season, I cleaned all the battery terminals and topped off the Trojan T145 batteries with distilled water. The cart worked normally for the next coule of months. The first week of May, the cart had been charging on an Eagle charger for a couple of weeks. I disconnected the charging and started to move the cart. The cart moved only about 15', then came to a stop and wouldn't move. I lifted the seat and saw the last positive battery terminal with the cable that goes to the solenoid was caked with corrosion. I mean alot of corrosion, slightly smaller than a baseball. When I cleaned the corrosion off, the battery clamp crumbled into small pieces and the top part of the battery terminal also fell apart. Once I had everything clean, I was able to get the cart to drive onto my trailer by holding the bare battery cable to the post.
Once I got the cart home, I ordered new compression battery clamp and installed it. I was able to drive the cart into my workshop where I put it back on the charger. since hunting season was over, I did not use the cart for about a month and a half. When I tried to drive the cart it would not move. I have tried to troubleshoot the problem and thought I had bad solenoids. They would not click when I turned the key but I had 50VDC between the coil terminal and a negative battery post (which I since have discovered was a mistake). The LEDs on the controller blink 4 times when the key is turned. A toublesooting guide I found said this indicates a bad contactor (solenoid).I replaced the solenoids and now when I turn the key, I get a quick click from the solenoid followed a second later by another click. I continued to troubleshoot and discovered I am not getting a sustained 48VDC on the solenoid coils. What is missing is the negative from the controllers (Millipak Sevcon 633T45320).

Why does the solenoid coils get their negative voltage from the controller instead of the battery pack?
What could be causing the controllers not to provide the negative voltage?
What may have caused the corrosion that started this whole chain of events?
Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bad Boy Buggie Classic Wiring Schematic.JPG (74.9 KB, 0 views)
ScottA58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
ScottA58
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2012 Bad Boy Buggy will not move

Help! Anybody?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA58 View Post
Help! Anybody?
Scott:

Your total pack voltage is how much?
Have you tested the voltage of this single battery that was corroded?
Your positive terminals will corrode. You need to coat with a corrosion preventative.
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
mjroman20
Gone Wild

The solenoids are driven by the controller to allow them to disconnect the battery in the event a potentially dangerous situation. Like say if all your armature FETs shorted and the motor just ran full speed without a pedal input.

That being said any number of various fault conditions may prevent the solenoid from pulling in. I would suggest following this troubleshooting guide to see if it lists any measurement tests for the system related to that. Possibly replace the solenoids.

If all else fails FSIP is likely able to test these controllers and tell you if there is an issue or not.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
ScottA58
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs_huntingcart View Post
Scott:

Your total pack voltage is how much?
Have you tested the voltage of this single battery that was corroded?
Your positive terminals will corrode. You need to coat with a corrosion preventative.
Total pack voltage is 49.9V

Voltage of battery that was corroded is 6.29 V

I coated the terminals with the spray on corrosion protector when I cleaned the terminals in March.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
ScottA58
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjroman20 View Post
The solenoids are driven by the controller to allow them to disconnect the battery in the event a potentially dangerous situation. Like say if all your armature FETs shorted and the motor just ran full speed without a pedal input.

That being said any number of various fault conditions may prevent the solenoid from pulling in. I would suggest following this troubleshooting guide to see if it lists any measurement tests for the system related to that. Possibly replace the solenoids.

If all else fails FSIP is likely able to test these controllers and tell you if there is an issue or not.
What troubleshooting guide?

FSIP?
Old 08-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #7
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:

FSIP?
The guide that should be in the owners manual..though it is badboy and their documentation is usually rather...lacking.

http://www.fsip.biz/
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
FF Titus
Gone Wild

Quote:

FSIP?
I'm working on the BBB Guide to upload here for him, busy day repairing these darn things, but I should have something soon if no one else beats me to it.
FF Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #9
ScottA58
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjroman20 View Post
The guide that should be in the owners manual..though it is badboy and their documentation is usually rather...lacking.

http://www.fsip.biz/
Original owners manual has no troubleshooting section; only Safety, Operation, and Maintenance.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #10
ScottA58
Not Yet Wild

Well I got the buggie fixed. I figured that the problem started with the corroded battery terminal so I would start there. This is the last positive terminal in series and the cable from it fed the controllers through the solenoids. I took this battery out along with one other. I cleaned the battery terminals and reinstalled the batteries swapping positions. This terminal also had one of the wires from the charging cord and the constant 48V feed wire to by 48Vto 12V voltage reducer. I put new connectors on all wires. I also mounted the 2 new solenoids. Put drive rocker switch in "N", turned key, Solenoid clicked and controller LED went solid green. Cart is now working properly.
It is back on Eagle smart charger. I will monitor daily.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO