lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #1
Sgtbilko
Not Yet Wild

Default 1986 Gas Club Car DS Charge System Question

OK, so I can read a schematic but I believe I'm overlooking something simple. Once the engine is running how does the charging voltage get back to the battery? It seems the power comes from the starter/generator F2 stud and goes to the solenoid stud then to the voltage regulator, then the regulator intermittently grounds the generator DF to control the generator's output. The solenoid should, at this point, not be energized, and the charging power can't get to the battery. Battery positive is on the OTHER solenoid stud and would require solenoid to be energized for the generator output to get to battery. What am I missing here? I feel stupid right now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Club-Car-DS-Gas-1986-1990.jpg (55.1 KB, 0 views)
Sgtbilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1986 Gas Club Car DS Charge System Question

On a pedal start cart the solenoid IS energized the entire time the engine is running. That is the return path of power to the battery.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
Sgtbilko
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
On a pedal start cart the solenoid IS energized the entire time the engine is running. That is the return path of power to the battery.
OH! Well that explains a lot. This was retrofitted with a Honda GX390 by previous owner and the wiring is the worst hack job I've ever seen. The solenoid now has a pushbutton sending 12v to it to energize it for start, so I'll figure out what needs to be done to put it back the way it should be. Thanks for the quick help!
Sgtbilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:19 PM   #4
SV1
Getting Wild

How confident are you that this schematic is correct? I ask because I have been chasing a charging issue on 1989 DS re:the voltage regulator. The only other scheme I could find had the first tab of the voltage reg being the red and going to the post on the solenoid. The middle being the yellow in from the starter gen. Thus I wired that way. This scheme is the reverse, the yellow to the first tab. Red on second. Your schem if correct would likely solve my problem. You sound knowledgeable in elec. Any idea if I would cause damage if wired in reverse Thanks in advance
SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you have the old gold box regulator the terminals should be labeled on it.
The schematic above only shows wire colors, your regulator pin functions may be different.

On this diagram the wire from solenoid post to regulator is Red
From regulator to DF post on the Starter Gen is Yellow
Chassis ground to regulator is black.
This is the general color arrangement for most Club Car gas engine carts.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:36 PM   #6
SV1
Getting Wild

The diagram you supplied is the one I worked off. Starter Gen to middle tab and #1 tab to the solenoid. Which is good and bad, good I have it wired correctly bad that I have to keep looking for my problem. Thanks you saved me some time and maybe some damage as I don’t know what would happen if I reversed the wires. Have a good night
Old 04-25-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Disconnect the yellow wire from the regulator and jump it to chassis ground, run the engine and see if the voltage output increases to over 15V at full throttle. If so, your regulator is bad, or wiring is not connected properly. Designs change on these parts, so just because it looks one way on a diagram doesn’t mean the wires should connect that way on the part you have. Terminal functions should be labeled on the box. If they are not, try to find documentation from the manufacturer, or contact the seller you purchased from to verify correct pin function.

If test above voltage does not increase, use a different jumper wire to jump the DF post on the SG to chassis ground or battery negative. Run the engine and check to see if voltage output increases. If voltage does not increase with DF post grounded the starter gen is bad. May just be worn brushes, but could also be a failed charge field coil, or burned or broken connection inside the SG.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
SV1
Getting Wild

One more question what would be the label on the reg to indicate in from S&G as I think the your are right to look at the Regulator config (that never crossed my mind) as I am not the greatest mech but have run the other tests. S&G running mid 16s, wire continuity seemed good. Connections cleaned and checked, tried various changes to the set screw in the reg. Gave up and bought a 2nd new reg. Thanks
Old 04-25-2021, 03:04 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Not sure exactly since those can vary by manufacturer, and it has been several years since I last dealt with one of those.

The usually markings are probably B, B+, or +, for positive input. This should be +12v sourced from the solenoid large post when it is engaged. Red wire.
Ground will usually be the Earth ground T symbol, or -, or possibly N.

The odd terminal will be the field current wire to the SG. Which may be S (stator), or F (field), or any number of other markings depending on what the manufacturer feels like using.
Keep in mind the housing of the regulator needs to have a clean connection to chassis for proper grounding. The negative wire needs to have a good connection to chassis ground, or the battery negative. The Red wire should have at least 12v supplied with the solenoid engaged.

If all else fails, it’s possible that both were connected wrong and failed immediately. You can use the newer style solid state regulator on that cart. The newer regulators have the correct color wires already attached and just need to be spliced into your existing wires.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:19 PM   #10
SV1
Getting Wild

Thanks again I won’t be at the cart again until next weekend. I’ll post what goes on in case others run into this.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car