Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2020, 10:00 AM   #11
RideSolo
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Ridesolo's '68 HD Utilicar

OK, the carb is back together so on to the next lump in the boxes of parts; the engine. I can turn a wrench but don't claim to be a great mechanic, especially with two-smokers. I'm told that the crank seals are critical so I'll replace. I see from the drawings that one is relatively easy to get at but it looks like the other requires that the case be split. Do both have to be replaced? Is splitting the crank case a major deal? IF I have to split the case is it just a given that since it's apart you just go ahead and replace the bearings as well?
RideSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #12
Scooter_Trash
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideSolo View Post
OK, the carb is back together so on to the next lump in the boxes of parts; the engine. I can turn a wrench but don't claim to be a great mechanic, especially with two-smokers. I'm told that the crank seals are critical so I'll replace. I see from the drawings that one is relatively easy to get at but it looks like the other requires that the case be split. Do both have to be replaced? Is splitting the crank case a major deal? IF I have to split the case is it just a given that since it's apart you just go ahead and replace the bearings as well?
Yes the seals should be replaced, as the motor depends on these to inhale correctly (and what's there just might be vintage 68 seals...) Since the motor is in a box, you're already a quarter of the way there. Splitting the cases on one of these is no biggie. Just pay attention to any and all shims as the crank comes out; you'll want to at least insure the same goes back in. And yes, do the bearings while you're there too. Its not like they're super expensive. Just don't jostle the crank around much getting it out. No BFHs! Two stroke is relatively simple compared an OHV or anything with a valve train as far as that's concerned.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #13
RideSolo
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Well, ended up selling this. Some things came up and I just didn't have the time/desire/ambition/etc to finish it up. The new owners picked it up today and I think they'll do it justice. Best wishes and good luck to 'em!
RideSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration