lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2021, 11:07 AM   #11
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Using G16 for snow plow

The other thing I learned is the longer and flatter your plow frame, the better it plows and transfers the weight to the vehicle.

In pic#1 in grey, the plow frame is low to the ground and the pivot point is under the vehicle. When the plow is lifted, the weight of the plow is distributed between the front and rear axles, steering is much better. This prevents the plow from binding when hitting rocks or joints in the concrete. It plows better this way because the plow will resist tripping forward more.

In pic #2 in green, the plow frame is shorter and angled. The pivot point is higher up near the bumper. This will carry the weight of the plow on the front wheels and the vehicle will steer funny and the suspension will squat more when the plow is lifted. The high angle of the plow frame will cause binding when it hits rocks and the plow will tend to want to trip forward.

Here's my snowplow thread, not sure it will be any help or not but if you're curious
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=72759
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart plow 1.jpg (1.01 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg golf cart plow 2.jpg (1,019.1 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #12
Lazy cruiser
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Yeah the angle adjustment was manual on mine. I just kept it in one position most of the time and planned my plowing accordingly.

The other thing I wish I would have done was fabricate some wings on the plow. The wings really help with "trail off" when pushing long runs. I plowed commercially for years and years and we always ran wings. Now they make plows that have hydraulic rams that adjust the plow in the center and the ends, crazy money for those too! But wings can be made very easily and they add width to plow more snow, and also act as a bit of a "scoop".

Here's a pic of some wings on an atv plow (random pic not mine)
I'm going to add some mudflaps that I have cut down to the sides to extend the plow out a bit. That way they are also a little flexible in case I happen to catch the edge on something. I would add some photos but I don't know how anymore.
Lazy cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:46 PM   #13
Lazy cruiser
Getting Wild

Running into another problem with the winch. The winch cables are not long enough to reach my battery. I have some 8 gauge battery cables that I can use with an Anderson connector for quick connect. The power cables on the winch box are 10 gauge. Is there a problem with running 8 gauge from my battery to the quick connect and then using the factory 10 gauge cables the remainder of the distance?
Old 01-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #14
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy cruiser View Post
Running into another problem with the winch. The winch cables are not long enough to reach my battery. I have some 8 gauge battery cables that I can use with an Anderson connector for quick connect. The power cables on the winch box are 10 gauge. Is there a problem with running 8 gauge from my battery to the quick connect and then using the factory 10 gauge cables the remainder of the distance?
With electric.....you can ALWAYS use thicker gauge wire without risk. Just don't go down in size or you'll have melted wires. In your case, as long as 10g was the proper wire, patching in 8g won't hurt. I would solder and shrink tube the connections though. Also, take a look, make sure the wire is the same material. I wouldn't mix aluminum and copper.

But, I would probably just replace the wiring so there are no splices, but that's going to cost a little money. That's the right way.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #15
Lazy cruiser
Getting Wild

Quote:
With electric.....you can ALWAYS use thicker gauge wire without risk. Just don't go down in size or you'll have melted wires. In your case, as long as 10g was the proper wire, patching in 8g won't hurt. I would solder and shrink tube the connections though. Also, take a look, make sure the wire is the same material. I wouldn't mix aluminum and copper.

But, I would probably just replace the wiring so there are no splices, but that's going to cost a little money. That's the right way.
Thank you again for the help. I wanted to add in a quick connect with Anderson connectors so I won’t actually have a splice from 8-10. I will double check that wires are the same material.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:41 PM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy cruiser View Post
Thank you again for the help. I wanted to add in a quick connect with Anderson connectors so I won’t actually have a splice from 8-10. I will double check that wires are the same material.
It should work fine. I assume you'll be using the switchgear that came with the winch with a fuse etc?
Old 01-18-2021, 11:56 PM   #17
Lazy cruiser
Getting Wild

Quote:
It should work fine. I assume you'll be using the switchgear that came with the winch with a fuse etc?
Yes that’s my plan. Hoping it works as I planned.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha