lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
atlbraves95
Not Yet Wild

Default 1995 Ez Go won't move

I'm sure this has been posted before but I cold not find anything through the search. When I press the pedal nothing...only a click. I replaced the solenoid and still nothing. I have 38.7 volts across the two large posts. All battery conns and conns on fwd/rev switch look good.
atlbraves95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1995 Ez Go won't move

Welcome to BGW!

To help you troubleshoot cart, we'll have to know what types drive system it has.
If it has a Run/Tow switch on controller's environmental cover, it's a DCS type drive.
If it doesn't, it's a Series type drive.

Since you have over 38V at the solenoid contacts, the battery pack is probably good. Or at least good enough to troubleshoot with.
Since the solenoid is clicking, the problem is most likely in the high current circuit.

With either type drive system, connect the negative DVM test lead to the battery pack's main negative terminal.
Connect the DVM positive lead to the A1 terminal on motor. (or the M- Terminal on controller, the other end of same cable)
When the solenoid first clicks, you should read full battery pack voltage.
If not, you've got a bad cable, contact or connection in the high current circuit.

Need to know drive type to suggest further troubleshooting steps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
atlbraves95
Not Yet Wild

It does not have a run/tow switch on it. The cart ran fine when I bought it, got it home changed the headlights, added a rear seat and when I went to move it...nothing. I charged the batteries thinking maybe the previous owner had not done that...still nothing. I will check what you suggested at lunch and post my findings. Thank you!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Where did you connect the headlights?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Okay. It is a Series cart. (Meaning it has a Series wound motor.)
If it has a metal body it is a Medalist and if it has a plastic body it is a TXT.
Here is a schematic for a series cart with the high current loop traced.

You say you changed headlights. What exactly did you do?
If you messed with the wiring any, something might have been knocked loose or put something back in wrong spot, or not reconnected at all. (Stuff happens. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series- Hi-Current traced.JPG (59.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
atlbraves95
Not Yet Wild

The head lights are connected across two batteries. They were on the cart and functional when I purchased, I just upgraded to a smaller halogen style. I don't think I changed any wiring b/c I went to the same two batteries and the lights are working.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Is it possible the click you are hearing is the microswitch at the throttle ? Just to be sure put a volt meter on the two small lugs of the solenoid and then press the gas. You should see 36+ volts.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
atlbraves95
Not Yet Wild

Ok...voltage from M- to battery neg is 17.6 key off 38 key on...I also have 38v across the 2 small solenoid post w/o pressing the pedal.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbraves95 View Post
1. Ok...voltage from M- to battery neg is 17.6 key off 38 key on...
2. I also have 38v across the 2 small solenoid post w/o pressing the pedal.
1. It should read 38V with F/R in F or R, Key switch on and Pedal pressed until the solenoid first clicks, but it sounds like the solenoid is activating before pedal is pushed.

2. You shouldn't read battery pack voltage across the solenoid's small terminals until the pedal is pushed.
MS-3 in pedal box is either out of adjustment, broken or the contacts are welded together, or the wiring is mixed up someplace.

Here is a schematic with solenoid activation circuit traced.
Make sure it is wired correctly.

Also, there may be more than one problem.
The cart will still move if the solenoid stays activated all the time the Keyswitch is On.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series with KSI traced.JPG (58.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
atlbraves95
Not Yet Wild

Right now key switch is off if I hook probe to batt side of solenoid I have 38 v to each small post and 18 big post to big post...key on nothing big to big, nothing batt to small post w/ orange wire (to micro switch of some sort) 38 v to other small post w/ black wire to control box
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO