lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
flynvest
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 Club Car upgrade options

I just purchased a 1999 Club Car 36 volt resistor type cart. I am looking into any options available to give me a little more speed (18-20 mph is fine), and more torque (slightly hilly courses) to climb terrain at faster than a slow walk. I have read tons of forum threads and had several suggestions but it seems except for the expensive way....gut the cart, start over with motor, controller, pb-6 pot, etc., I get conflicting information. I have been told I could just pop in 6 8 volt batteries and install a heavy duty 48 volt solenoid. Supposedly my motor will handle the current and other than the resistor wires getting hotter, it would perform better. Others say this is not correct. Who can I believe? I am very mechanical and I can effect any changes once I get a grip on what is the best option for the least investment. My cart is stock for now and I don't anticipate any lift or bed or additional seats so I hope the best option doesn't break the bank. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
flynvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 Club Car upgrade options

The cart will run about 30% improved torque and speed when properly converted to a solid state 48v system. (do not run 48v thru resistor coils) Your motor will dependably give you all you need to zip from pin to pin if done correctly. You will need the following:
48v worth of batteries
48v speed controller
48v charger
48v solenoid
Curtis PB-6 (potentiometer)
4g battery cables
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
flynvest
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. Why can't I put 48v through the resistor coils? I guess this is where my novice is showing. Some posts say go ahead while others say no way. I can understand the added current, etc. but if I go the 'right' way I'm looking at approx $1000 input. KaChing!! Is there no other way in the short run to improve performance? Or do I just bite the bullet now or else?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Welcome to the forum!!!

The resistor coils and throttle system are not designed for the additional voltage. You will almost surely melt these parts. Everything must be upgraded for the additional voltage and amperage. I am currently doing this project with a 1991 Club car DS. Check out this thread for more info.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-48v-conv.html

I have posted alot of info here for another forum member. There are some pictures included at the end. This is not a cheap upgrade, but well worth the time end money.
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Voltage is not a problem for resistor coils, amperage can be.
If this cart is used in a normal fashion and not trying to pull stumps with a lift, big tires, fully loaded and going up hill, I don't think it should be a big problem and should give good service.
It's a little harder on the coils at slow speeds with a load but other than that, no problems.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
flynvest
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the skinny on my expectations. I am using the cart (for now) in its intended purpose.....drag two older tired golfers around a course that has a few hills. If I can put in the 6 - 8 volt batteries and a 48 volt solenoid for a short time and make it work then great. As soon as I can, I intend on adding the controller, pb-6 pot and #4 wiring. That should leave me with a great cart with all the power I need. Sound doable? I think for the near future I am going to stay with the OEM motor to see if it really does well with the 48 volts. I hear nothing but good things in that area. Then farther future, if need be, I can factor in a motor to really complete the job.

If anyone has any additional info or suggestions, or even opinion, I'd love to hear them. I learn slow but I do learn, and this forum has taken me from a know nothing to a know something. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Voltage is not a problem for resistor coils, amperage can be.
If this cart is used in a normal fashion and not trying to pull stumps with a lift, big tires, fully loaded and going up hill, I don't think it should be a big problem and should give good service.
It's a little harder on the coils at slow speeds with a load but other than that, no problems.
I disagree...These resistor coils were not designed for 48 volts and the additional amperage. The heat they will generate if not going full throttle all the time will almost certainly cause something to melt. I think scottyb can attest to this also. You can try it but don't be surprised if you start melting the wires by the resistor coils and possible the coils themselves. I have seen melted forward and reverse switch also.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

I agree if you are using a cart to cruise around an acreage or neighborhood at slow speeds for long stretches.
In a golf situation, a cart goes usually at full or nearly full speed for at most 200 yards then stops. Short bursts of slow running power are not going to cause a problem.
If the coils, throttle and associated wiring is in good condition this will be no problem. If, however, there are wiring/coil issues with this 10 year old configuration, 48v will exacerbate the problem.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
I agree if you are using a cart to cruise around an acreage or neighborhood at slow speeds for long stretches.
In a golf situation, a cart goes usually at full or nearly full speed for at most 200 yards then stops. Short bursts of slow running power are not going to cause a problem.
If the coils, throttle and associated wiring is in good condition this will be no problem. If, however, there are wiring/coil issues with this 10 year old configuration, 48v will exacerbate the problem.
agreed...It is the criusing around that will definetly cause you problems. In the situation you described with golfing it should not be to bad. Long trips at anything but full speed will be a problem, and even then the cables should be upgraded because no matter what speed you run at they will be carrying more power and will almost certainly get hot. This could possibly cause battery terminals to melt. Reagardless, it is a gamble without doing a full system upgrade designed for 48 volts and more amperage.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
dougmcp
Gone Wild

You could always somewhat limit the amperage to the coils by not going to a 4ga wire but retaining the stock 6ga cables.
In the end, whenever you stress a system by upping the voltage by 30% you are taking a gamble. Knowing your odds and possible pitfalls is always beneficial.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car