lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2013 CC Precedent Upgrade recommendations

At 50v Your batteries are just about at 80% capacity.

You need to do a full charge and let the pack rest (no driving) for at least 8 hours and measure the voltage.

That will give you a baseline, but the best test is really to watch the voltage as You put a load on the cart, like driving uphill at full throttle.

If the batteries are weak, the pack will drop to 40v or less.

The XCT400 has good reviews and lots of folks use it, there are a couple of options for the FN device (on the fly adjustments), look at the 2 options to see which one You would use the most.

If You got the 2ga cables from scottyb, it will come with the stud you will need for the OBC.

Get a real voltmeter for the dash and learn the voltage levels.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tml#post153082
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
mannvel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sergio,
the batteries charge all the way till the charger stopped...that was last night....I did the meter read this afternoon so well past the 8 hr rest period and thats when I got the 50V.

So at best they are now @ 80% capacity is that normal for a 1yr old battery set.?

regarding the controller, the Madjax is a 600amp while the Altrax is 400amp
will that be a huge difference?
I guess my question is should I stickit out with the MadJax or just return the thing and go with the tried and tested alltrax..? even with the amperage differential?

again not looking to go 30mph+..just looking for torque and happy staying @ 25mph
mannvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #13
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you're in no hurry, return the MadJax. Order the 6-12HP speed motor. That's the one that develops max HP in the 5000-6000RPM range. Then make up your mind if you still need a new controller. Besides it looks like you may be needing new battery(s). Where abouts are you at in NC?
PS:
Quote:
Batteries are 1 year old or so I was told...
That's one of the three great golf cart lies.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The 50v voltage is not normal for 1 year old batteries, the voltages will be lower if the outside temperature is near freezing, but not that low.

Can you see the manufacturer date stamp on the batteries?

It is either a sticker or etched on the battery post with 1 letter (the month) + 1 digit (the year) (IE: C5 = March/2015)

In my opinion, a Sepex cart will not use more than 400 amps unless you are trying to pull a boat with it.

The XCT400 with a Fan is the controller I will get for myself when I decide to upgrade, but I think You should be getting better performance from that Madjax controller than You are experiencing.

Try to do the battery load test with your voltmeter leads taped/clipped to the battery pack as you drive up hill.

You did not say where did you order the cables from, but HD solenoids would have a 3/8 stud instead of 5/16. There are also 2 "combo crimps" on the Precedent OEM 6ga cables that you will need to replace. The size will depend on what solenoid You ordered.

Also, don't forget the negative cable needs to be in 2 sections, one on each side of the OBC 5/16 "Stud" that You will add.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #15
mannvel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

@JJance. I am in Holly Springs, NC..about 20-25min sough of Raleigh
Old 11-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #16
mannvel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

@ sergio:
I ordered the cables from Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272028292296
I paid the ectra 10.00 for the copper endings
ther is a sticker in the batteries: C3 which will mean March 2013...so
that means should be 3 year old batteries (so much for the 1yr old batteries)

Going to do the driving test
Old 11-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #17
mannvel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

@ Segio.
Ok did two tests, speed test and also the voltage test while driving.
I was able to get to 20mph (GPS speedometer) and the voltage read 47-48V while going straight.

On the hills slowed down to about 13-14 mph and the voltmeter dropped to about 43-44V. Pending on the hill it was 44.4 and then the lowest recorded was 43.3V on a long steep hill.

Not sure what this all means, but eager to hear from you all
Old 11-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Golf cart batteries and motor studs are 5/16, those cables are 3/8, they have the wrong ends for high amperage cables since the surface-to-surface contact is what transfers current.

Also, thinned ends are the preferred coating for reducing corrosion, I imagine the comment on his description is more about the difference in quality between the cable lugs he sells vs the merit of un-coated copper in a corrosion prone environment.

Edit: I just saw your new post, the batteries are not as low as I thought they would go, but we don't know if that is because the Madjax reduced the power due to low voltage.

One of the things I like about the Alltrax is the ability to collect logs or view the data from the controller real-time so You know what is going on.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #19
mannvel
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

ok so the 3/8 are a tad bigger than the 5/16 so more surface contact to be made thus better transfer?

Also, made my decision, I will move over to the Altrax and get the on the fly programmer as well. will purchase these from Scotty tonight.

Scotty does sell the package of the wires/solinoid and controller
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltra...-controls.html

He also sells the cables with the stud but that was almost double than the ebay store...maybe as a package it was better...who knows..
Old 11-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #20
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Pictures of cart, battery bay and tires please. What is tire pressure?

Batteries are the heart of an electric cart. Any weakness here will result in poor performance. This has been said but I say it again for emphasis. C3 is really closer to 4 years old (assuming the stickers are real). They lied about the battery age. Wonder what else.
I'm confused about the speed. First post 15-17, later post 20. What changed?
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car