lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
wil33562
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008.5 Precedent speed recommendations

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 2008.5 Club Car Precedent. Serial number is PH0830-XXXXXX. It has four Powertron P12000 batteries that were installed in June 2014. The car is fully stock with no aftermarket parts.

After fully charging the batteries and making sure all tires were inflated to 22 PSI I took it for a ride. It does seem fairly slow. According to the speedometer app on my phone it is getting a constant 11.7 MPH on flat surfaces. I think it may have gone to 12 MPH for a second or so!

I assume that the speed code is probably set to speed code 2. Does this sound right.

I would like to get the cart up to around 19-20 MPH. Can this be done by programming in speed code 4? Are there other things that I can do to make it faster? I don't think a PQ Bandit will work with this model. I believe I have the Excel setup.

What are my options?

Thanks,
-w
wil33562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2008.5 Precedent speed recommendations

A bandit does work with excel system. But excel didn't start until 09. So you should have a IQ cart. You can look at the controller to find out. Of the controller is black you have a IQ. If it's grey you have an Excel cart. But it really doesn't matter the bandit works for both. If you have an IQ cart I would get a hold of revolution carts . He's a site sponsor and see if he can sell you a speed magnet. That should get you over 20mph for sure.
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
flkeysdude359
Gone Wild
Club Car

Not to be contradictory, however, I also have a 2008.5...it is an Excel drive. I believe CC introduced the Excel with the production change that included the battery tub that would take either the 4x12v or 6x8v. My cart was setup for the 4x12v. Based on past threads, I would forgo the speed code 4 and go with the PQ Bandit upgrade. I was just quoted $175.00 for the speed code 4 upgrade and believe the Bandit for the Excel is about $225.00. Hope this helps...
flkeysdude359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

I paid $125 for the code 4 when I first bought my cart. But you don't need a code 4 when you get a bandit motor. The code 3 will work just as well with the bandit motor. My buddy bought a bandit motor and had a code 3 installed on his excel controller. And he thought a code 4 would give him more speed so he paid the $125 and it didn't give him any more speed lol. Talk about a waste of money lol.
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

I believe a PH is an excel cart and a PQ is an IQ cart. The magnet will not do anything for you on a PH/excel cart. PlumQuick makes a PH Bandit motor that will do nicely for what you want, giving you closer to 25 MPH. I believe that would be your best bet.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
wil33562
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do have a grey controller along with the PH serial number. I guess that confirms that my 2008.5 has the Excel setup.

If I am running speed code 2, at 12 MPH max, do I need to have that programmed to speed code 3 before installing a Bandit? Or will the speed code have any impact or limit the Bandit motor?

Will the Bandit be a direct swap with just the existing motor or will I need to upgrade anything else?

I will contact Plum Quick on Monday to see about getting an order made for one of their Bandits.

Thanks,
-w
wil33562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

As bad as it hurts, just give up your cart for a few days and pull your motor and ship it to plumb quick. I don't think you will need any speed code change at all.

I have an IQ cart with the bandit motor and 350 amp Curtis controller. I really like this set up. Good solid 25+ mph.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #8
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil33562 View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do have a grey controller along with the PH serial number. I guess that confirms that my 2008.5 has the Excel setup.

If I am running speed code 2, at 12 MPH max, do I need to have that programmed to speed code 3 before installing a Bandit? Or will the speed code have any impact or limit the Bandit motor?

Will the Bandit be a direct swap with just the existing motor or will I need to upgrade anything else?

I will contact Plum Quick on Monday to see about getting an order made for one of their Bandits.

Thanks,
-w
Nothing else needs to be done other then pulling your motor, sending to PlumQuick and then installing it once they send it back. You'll be good to go!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:12 PM   #9
4wilsons
Not Yet Wild

This is my 09 excel 48 (4x12) on stock tires and height after the bandit. Before was 15mph on sc3... don't do sc3, go right for bandit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-05-12-17-07-51.jpg (84.8 KB, 0 views)
4wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:14 PM   #10
4wilsons
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Nothing else needs to be done other then pulling your motor, sending to PlumQuick and then installing it once they send it back. You'll be good to go!

Also, take about 15mins to remove and replace motor. I jacked up my pass rear corner and took the 3 bolts out and the 1 support bracket bolt. Then disconnected the 4 wires. Take a pic or drawing of the wires when removed. If you can jack the cart up then you can replace motor. PQ told me about 4 days turn around time since they don't have a excel core on hand
4wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car