lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2022, 01:19 PM   #1
woodsnwater19
Not Yet Wild

Default Carryall II gas swap onto electric DS?

Hey Folks!

I built a 36 volt resistor DS cart for my folks last year and put a lot of work into it. Unfortunately they live in the hills and camp in the mountains and it has limitations. I'm currently building another newer 48v DS with an alltrax controller and goodies, but would like to convert their older cart to a gas motor for ease of operation!

I've found a carryall II with a kawasaki motor that is in rough, but running shape. Is it possible to swap the engine, rear transaxle and other components from the carryall II onto the frame of the 36v resistor DS cart? Obviously I know there will be some cutting of mounts and what not, but mainly wondering if the measurements match up.

Any help is appreciated!! I’ve attached pics of the before and after of their resistor cart after I rescued it from a concrete plant junkyard!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 306830D6-BE9D-4638-8BAF-6C323BC8C896.jpg (25.4 KB, 0 views)
woodsnwater19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2022, 02:03 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Carryall II gas swap onto electric DS?

Unless you can weld aluminum I’d say no. The frames are different electric vs gas

*could* it be done? Sure. But it’s not going to be an easy straight forward job. With enough dedication anything is possible. But it may be more work than it’s worth. I’d say you might be better off just rebuilding the carryall. Those are a lot of fun anyway :) plus the stronger longer frame would be more stable on hills and they could load all their gear and firewood and stuff in the bed and go. I loved all my carryalls
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:30 PM   #3
woodsnwater19
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Unless you can weld aluminum I’d say no. The frames are different electric vs gas

*could* it be done? Sure. But it’s not going to be an easy straight forward job. With enough dedication anything is possible. But it may be more work than it’s worth. I’d say you might be better off just rebuilding the carryall. Those are a lot of fun anyway :) plus the stronger longer frame would be more stable on hills and they could load all their gear and firewood and stuff in the bed and go. I loved all my carryalls
Thank you! Sooo I can weld aluminum so that part doesn’t concern me haha. My main question is if the rear wishbone suspension/engine mount is the same on the carryall 2 as it is on the DS gas. If so, it’s just a matter of fixing a front mount on the electric DS for the rear suspension wishbone to mount to, right?

They prefer the short wheelbase, backseat and looks of their DS. The carryall frame might be set aside to get the engine and transaxle from a front wheel drive car swapped onto it later on lol.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:38 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You should be able to swap the rear axle over to the electric cart. DS and carryall use the same rear axle. And I’m sure fairtax will correct me if I’m wrong, I’ve never tried, but I don’t believe there’s any difference in electric vs gas AS FAR AS MOUNTING is concerned to the Lear springs and perches. Simply put the rear axle *should* be a direct swap.

The engine cradle bolts to the rear axle and you can move them both as an assembly. And I’m sure you could weld on a couple tabs for the “tangs” where the snubber/front of the engine cradle goes on the frame of the electric cart. Obviously you’ll have to cut out the battery tray to make that happen.

What I’m not sure about is mounts for the gas tank or battery and throttle box and etc. you’ll probably have to get creative there.

Swapping the gas drive setup over to the electric cart really probably wouldn’t be super difficult or time consuming. It’s all the other little “odds and ends” that are gonna take the most time out of it.

Disclaimer:this is all theoretical as I’ve never tried this swap myself but as said, I’m sure it won’t be a super ash bolt this here move that there and done kind of thing. But where there’s a will, there’s a way

What I CAN tell you is that FE350 is gonna rock in that DS
Old 06-23-2022, 05:05 PM   #5
woodsnwater19
Not Yet Wild

Haha perfect response CP241! Your comment about the FE350 is part of my drive to do this swap and exactly the response I was secretly hoping for!

I looked at options of doing the solid state 48v conversion on their 36v resistor cart, but by the time I buy the kit, buy the 48v batteries, buy the charger... possibly upgrade the motor... I'm in for more than it's worth!

I also looked at sourcing a stock gas cart but people want a premium for those these days. So with the purchase cost of the stock gas cart, add in an engine upgrade to a predator 420 or similar, the total investment also gets up there again!

I figure the carryall 2 is a win/win if the extended wheelbase doesn't throw too big of a wrench in the rear suspension dimensions. I'm hoping the extended wheelbase simply comes from an extended frame, not rear axle travel. The Kawasaki engine may need a once over, but should produce plenty of power in comparison to a stock DS gas motor!
Old 06-24-2022, 08:59 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You're far better off to fix the carryall than to try to make a gas motor fit in an electric cart. It's not a matter of trimming a few brackets and welding some pieces on. The frame rails on the electric cart are about 6" closer together and its not physically possible to fit the gas engine between them. Sure, you can cut the frame off and re-build the entire rear end of the cart, but you're going to need to brace the heck out of it to keep the rest of the frame happy where the rails don't line up anymore. These frames have enough problems with rails twisting and welds breaking, I would not want to cut and weld the very core of the cart right in the center where most of the stress is placed when people are on it.
Even after you widen the frame, you then need to figure out which engine to use, and make the adapters or modifications for that to work, you might as well just do that work on the carryall. To rebuild an FE motor could cost $250 in parts. If its a 350 motor then it could get prohibitively expensive if the crankshaft is damaged.

Yes, carts are expensive. Just like so many other things these days.
A cart that is properly done will get you every penny back if sold, so don't think that spending $3500 in upgrades and some redone seats is a bad investment, especially if you got the cart cheap.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:22 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
You're far better off to fix the carryall than to try to make a gas motor fit in an electric cart. It's not a matter of trimming a few brackets and welding some pieces on. The frame rails on the electric cart are about 6" closer together and its not physically possible to fit the gas engine between them. Sure, you can cut the frame off and re-build the entire rear end of the cart, but you're going to need to brace the heck out of it to keep the rest of the frame happy where the rails don't line up anymore. These frames have enough problems with rails twisting and welds breaking, I would not want to cut and weld the very core of the cart right in the center where most of the stress is placed when people are on it.
Even after you widen the frame, you then need to figure out which engine to use, and make the adapters or modifications for that to work, you might as well just do that work on the carryall. To rebuild an FE motor could cost $250 in parts. If its a 350 motor then it could get prohibitively expensive if the crankshaft is damaged.

A cart that is properly done will get you every penny back if sold, so don't think that spending $3500 in upgrades and some redone seats is a bad investment, especially if you got the cart cheap.

Told you he’d tell me I was wrong

But we do both agree you’re better off rebuilding the carryall as a carryall. Maybe sell that and their electric cart you’d have plenty to buy them a gasser DS
Old 06-26-2022, 01:05 PM   #8
woodsnwater19
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post

Thanks so much for the frame width info, Fairtax! The Carryall2 is about an hour away so I haven’t gotten down there to make any measurements yet. The frame width difference is the type of roadblock I was looking to avoid!

The DS barely fits in their garage with the rear seat right now… so looks like I’ll be sticking with it and just do a solid state conversion, shove 48v batteries in there and keep the 36v motor. Is CartsUnlimited our best bet there?

Tags
carryall ii, electric ds, gas swap
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car