lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #1
DaveK
Not Yet Wild

Default Transaxle Rebuild? 2002 Pioneer

Forward gear is busted in my 2002 Pioneer. So.... Looking for someone that can rebuild a transaxle with a locking differential. Fairly sure it's a "UNITIZED TRASAXLE – MC012C-AS00". Haven't been able to locate a new or used version, and I'm not brave enough to split the case and attempt a rebuild myself. My local Club Car dealer quoted the job at $2600, which seems insanely high. I assume they just don't want to tackle it.

So.. in a few hours I'll have it pulled and crated, but the only guy I found so far willing to rebuild it is located in British Columbia. He wants $800 plus shipping.
I'm in Dallas, Texas so international shipping isn't going to be cheap. Anyone know a company or dealer in the lower 48 that would tackle this job? Appreciate any leads. Would still consider a used one if anyone knows of a unit.

Thanks....
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2022, 01:20 PM   #2
DaveK
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Transaxle Rebuild? 2002 Pioneer

Well.. since no one on this forum had a better suggestion, I went with sending the unit to Brad Porcellato in British Columbia who's a Club Car engine and transaxle guru. Shipping to him for a rebuild, and he estimates it'll run me $800 plus freight. If this works I've saved $1500 by doing my own transaxle pull and reinstall. Will update this post in a few weeks to let folks know how it went.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:27 PM   #3
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is it like a car axle?
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:43 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It's honestly not that difficult to pull them apart and put new bearings in. Gets to be a bit time consuming though, especially if you've never done one before. A press is required as well.
I'm sure there's a few people who do them in the states, but it's a word of mouth kinda thing since there really isn't much demand for it here.
Brad is probably one of the most knowledgeable guys in the world when it comes to these units, and does really good work. For several years he wouldn't do rebuilds from the US, so I'm glad to see he's opened up to work from the states again. He does great work so I'm sure it will be in great shape when it gets back.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #5
Aggiesdm
Getting Wild

Watching this thread! I have a 2001 Pioneer that won’t go into reverse. I’m contemplating do a rebuild myself, but don’t have a press, so may be better to send it off to Brad.

DaveK, let us know how it all goes!
Aggiesdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #6
Aggiesdm
Getting Wild

Anyone know if a 12 ton press would be enough to press bearings into the transaxle?
Aggiesdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 11:18 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I would think that would work fine. I have a small shop press, maybe 10 ton, can't recall exactly off the top of my head, primarily for smaller stuff like cart and mower parts.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:26 PM   #8
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The sleg hammer is always a option
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:07 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

12 ton should be fine. It’s not like pressing a bearing into a heavy steel steering knuckle in a car. It should just be a bearing into a cast aluminum housing. You may not even need a press at all, but certainly helpful to have
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

All the bearings are slip fit in the housings. They are pressed onto the shafts, and I think there is a gear that has to be pressed on as well if you end up having to replace the syncro rings. Pretty small bearings, and they're not rust welded in place like car wheel bearings or big U-joints get.
Most of the time the only bearings that need to be replaced are the ones on the input shaft, but that also usually needs to come apart for synchro rings and/or input gears if they're chewed up from the bearings going bad.
Brad used to have some videos on the Youtube showing the process. Kinda neat watch if you can find them, not sure if they're still on there anymore.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car