lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2022, 10:19 AM   #1
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Default Diagnostic help

I replaced the starter and voltage regulator last year (and the year before that). Actually, I did it twice in two weeks last year, because the first starter I got was cheap and made of pure chineseium. The second starter was twice as much but, the same day it died I was telling myself, "this has really been running good!" I have since quit talking to myself.

I'm busy in the field, so I havn't had a chance to tear into it, but I've got a NO START. It's not at all like when my starter has gone out in the past. Even if I bump the belt ahead, the starter doesn't pick up.

I have 12v at both sides of the solenoid. Solenoid clicks. I have 12v at the starter.

I guess before I yank the starter, my main question is this: can bad microswitches cause no start (but still get 12v at the starter).

I suspect the microswitches because the cart was running in neutral (even without switching the yellow knob).

Thanks,
Nathan
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2022, 12:11 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Diagnostic help

If the solenoid clicks and you’re getting 12v at the starter the microswitches are fine.

Www.revolutiongolfcars.com call David and buy an OEM starter. Aftermarket ones suck
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:15 PM   #3
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

What about a bad rev limiter? Same deal (if starter has 12v then Rev Limiter good)? I was looking for an easier and less expensive fix but I don't bet that is in the cards.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:03 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

No. Rev limiter the engine will still spin but if it’s bad you will have no spark.

To clarify, you step on the pedal. Have 12v at the starter and nothing happens at all? Engine doesn’t spin? Nothing?
Old 06-23-2022, 08:58 PM   #5
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
No. Rev limiter the engine will still spin but if it’s bad you will have no spark.

To clarify, you step on the pedal. Have 12v at the starter and nothing happens at all? Engine doesn’t spin? Nothing?
Yup! Nothing but a click from solenoid. In the past when my starters have failed, they might spin if I advanced them, or held the pedal a few seconds. But this time it's just nothing, it hadn't been acting funny or anything.

I've had the cart about 9 years...been through the starter 2 different times, this just seems different. I'll have to yank it, test it, and get the one you recommended.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2022, 11:59 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Does the starter happen to say dynamo on it?

I have yet to find an aftermarket starter that’s worth the box it’s shipped in. The oem is more expensive but it will last you 20 years
Old 06-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You can have a bad ground for the starter and get 12v but no spinny.

The white cable only gets power once the solenoid clicks, so if you have 12v on the white cable at the starter then check for voltage on the Black cable or ground strap and see if you also have 12v there. Any voltage on the ground side will indicate a bad ground.

You can also check voltage on the green cable to see if power is getting through the starter. If there is No voltage on the green cable then something is definitely wrong internally. And on the vice versa, if there is full 12v on the green cable, same thing, probably something wrong inside.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:08 PM   #8
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Welp, once I finally had time to look into it, it was simple.

The new ground strap I put on last year with the starter was completely severed from the starter to the frame.

Thanks everybody for your help...Fairtax4me is about the most insightful commenter on any forum I've come across.

Nathan
Old 06-30-2022, 02:39 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

KISS method.

Do you have a lift kit on the cart? I've broken a couple ground straps by forgetting them when I was pulling a motor out, but also had one break on a cart we have that's lifted 4". it had enough length to be OK when the cart was on the ground, but was pulling tight if the cart wheels were off the ground. Going over some of the rough and uneven places we have here it eventually stretched and came apart.
The original ground straps are kinda short and if the cart is lifted they can get yanked on.
If it's lifted then you're usually better off to run a new ground cable from the starter down along with the other cables off the back of the motor and ground it to the frame where the battery ground is.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:43 PM   #10
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

No lift kit. But with 5 kids the rear suspension sees more up/downs than a Morgan Wallen song! Guess I need to get a little longer one.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car