lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2022, 08:47 PM   #11
don222
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 89 clubcar only runs when choked

Yay! Got it working great. Changed all fuel lines. Still no improvement. I had an old factory carb in my shop. Swapped out the after market carb and immediately ran great. Hope it lasts!! Thanks for your help.
don222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2022, 09:01 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Didn’t know you were running an aftermarket carb. Those almost never work right.

Glad you got it going. Thanks for the follow up
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #13
don222
Not Yet Wild

Hi CP241. Not sure if you got my private message. Cart conked out last night after 17 holes. A buddy at the course looked at it and saw that the fuel filter was dry. I changed all fuel lines last week and the fuel pump was working very well. I assume then that my tank is dirty. Or the pump intermittently fail. What do you think?

Don
Old 06-23-2022, 09:47 AM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

The pulse pumps either work or they don’t. Usually. I’ve only had one time where I had a DS I had put a FE350 into it. It would run awesome until it got hot and then I would have to half hold the choke in to get it back home. Let it sit 30 minutes and it would be fine for a while again. I replaced the fuel pump and it was fine after that.

Did you replace the fuel pump too? If so is it aftermarket?

You can get a genuine mikuni Briggs and Stratton fuel pump on Amazon for between 20-25 bucks. These are the only fuel pumps I will use. Just make sure it is the genuine oem one. It actually says mikuni on it and has a little Briggs and Stratton logo on the front too.

I’d still also make sure your lines are clear if it sucks up any dirt or anything it doesn’t take much to clog that pickup tube in the tank. It’s very small.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:55 AM   #15
don222
Not Yet Wild

thanks I will swap the pump and see what happens along with cleaning the tank.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:53 PM   #16
DaveK
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
The pulse pumps either work or they don’t. Usually. I’ve only had one time where I had a DS I had put a FE350 into it. It would run awesome until it got hot and then I would have to half hold the choke in to get it back home. Let it sit 30 minutes and it would be fine for a while again. I replaced the fuel pump and it was fine after that.

Did you replace the fuel pump too? If so is it aftermarket?

You can get a genuine mikuni Briggs and Stratton fuel pump on Amazon for between 20-25 bucks. These are the only fuel pumps I will use. Just make sure it is the genuine oem one. It actually says mikuni on it and has a little Briggs and Stratton logo on the front too.

I’d still also make sure your lines are clear if it sucks up any dirt or anything it doesn’t take much to clog that pickup tube in the tank. It’s very small.
Just went through a similar issue with mine and ended up fixing it by thoroughly cleaning the tank and clearing the pickup tube. You'd be amazed what can get into a gas tank over the years.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 03:54 PM   #17
don222
Not Yet Wild

I just installed the new fuel pump and checked the fuel pickup. Runs like a top for about 200 yards and then sputters and dies. Starts again after 1 minute and does the same or similar. I did notice that when running in maintenance that after it dies a little fuel and bubbles run back in the fuel line towards the fuel pump. There seems to also be a little back pressure when running. Doesn't back fire just misses a little. I am now taking it to a mechanic to get checked out. not sure where to go next. Last summer the ground wire at the back of the starter generator was loose and arched out. It welded the wire to the post and was very loose. I twisted a piece of wire to the post to tighten the ground wire. Could that be an issue? I did not clean the tank but looks clean. I blew out the the pickup from the tank and no resistance at all. ?????
Old 08-23-2022, 08:44 AM   #18
don222
Not Yet Wild

Finally got proper diagnosis on engine. Compression a little weak and therefore when running full out gets starved for fuel. Reattached governor adj carb and shortened pulse line. Runs slower but reliable. Yay
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car