lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2022, 12:53 PM   #21
Tcarlquist
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 98 EZGO will turn over but not crank, unless...

Got a chance to take off the plate next to battery and clean ground contact points. Also used the volt meter to test the following:

Ignition coil: 18.15 ohms secondary (reading from end of wire)
3.5 on primary

Pulsar: 20.5 ohms. Tried to get AC voltage and it did show 0.1 for a second.

Limiter switch check: From blue key switch to positive on solenoid is 1.2 ohms

Key in on position 12.29 volts between solenoid post A and B. Drops to 0.24 when pedal is pressed (starter activated).

Checked spark by taking one plug off at a time, and neither produced any spark.
Tcarlquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2022, 04:48 AM   #22
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Did you get a new igniter yet?

I may have missed something over the weekend, but here goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcarlquist View Post
Key in on position 12.29 volts between solenoid post A and B. Drops to 0.24 when pedal is pressed (starter activated).
I am not sure i understand this statement. You should not see any voltage at the solenoid activation connection with just the key on, or do you mean from the battery side large post and ground? If so your battery is a bit low at 12.29 volts. If your voltage is dropping down to 0.24 you have a problem lol. If you mean 10.24 then that would be normal and the igniter and coil would function at this voltage.

{EDIT} I just realised that maybe you mean the two large posts and you are testing for voltage drop across the solenoid contacts.

Your coil Ohms out good.

The pulser Ohms out good, a bit low on volts, but that may be OK, or your meter may not be sensitive enough. I assume the engine is spinning when checking for up to 0.5 Volts ac?

If you are still using the aftermarket igniter, I am beginning to suspect it may be faulty.

Bring me up to speed on where you are at and i will see what we can do next.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:53 AM   #23
Tcarlquist
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Did you get a new igniter yet?

{EDIT} I just realised that maybe you mean the two large posts and you are testing for voltage drop across the solenoid contacts.

The pulser Ohms out good, a bit low on volts, but that may be OK, or your meter may not be sensitive enough. I assume the engine is spinning when checking for up to 0.5 Volts ac?

If you are still using the aftermarket igniter, I am beginning to suspect it may be faulty.

Bring me up to speed on where you are at and i will see what we can do next.
Have not bought a new ignitor yet, still using the cheaper aftermarket one. Trig put me on a source for one and I also saw Buggies Unlimited has them. going to get one ordered today.

and yes that was voltage drop across large solenoid posts. that was one of the tests the manual stated to do.

the pedal switch is about the only thing I didnt check. figured it was okay if the engine turns over. No spark is my issue currently. if there is anything else I should do between now and when I get ignitor, please let me know. or if pictures of anything would help I can upload them too. thanks fr all the help.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #24
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I think we need to get an igniter, then we can see what happens and if we need to investigate further. It may be worth checking the rest of the activation circuit, but if you have the solenoid activating ok, it may not be worth it. I only suggest this as you had the starter not turning the other day if i recall. That could also be worn brushes in the starter though.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:27 PM   #25
Tcarlquist
Not Yet Wild

It will turn over every time now. I'm thinking I must have had something unhooked when it wasn't turning the starter over the other day. Will Let you know once the new ignitor gets here, just ordered one from Buggies Unlimited.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:02 PM   #26
Tcarlquist
Not Yet Wild

Installed the new ignitor and I do have spark now. It fires up and will run okay for about 10-15 sec then slowly bogs down until only the starter is spinning. So thinking it’s flooding now?Didn’t have time to mess with it. Pouring here right now.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:13 PM   #27
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Installed the new ignitor and I do have spark now. It fires up and will run okay for about 10-15 sec then slowly bogs down until only the starter is spinning. So thinking it’s flooding now?Didn’t have time to mess with it. Pouring here right now.
Use a good spark tester and check to make sure its still firing when it bogs down.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:22 AM   #28
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
cart has new carb, fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition coil, spark plug wires.
Do as Trig suggests first and see if you still have spark when bogging down.

If these parts are non oem, I would suspect one or more of these is possibly the issue.

Also, as you have a pre MCI engine, I would also suggest once you have proven spark, to check your valve lash just in case compression is going down once the engine is running.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:13 AM   #29
Tcarlquist
Not Yet Wild

Ten4 I will check spark this afternoon before I do anything else. And I was just researching last night and reading older posts about adjusting/checking the valves. Not sure where the owner before me bought his parts, but I doubt they are oem from what I can tell.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:50 PM   #30
Tcarlquist
Not Yet Wild

So I rode it around yard until it bogged down. Pulled one plug and could visually see bright spark. Took off the valve cover and adjusted each to 1/4-1/2 turn out from seated. Then I took the air filter out, and the engine cranked and seem to have some throttle response, which I haven’t really had since I’ve owned it. Put the air filter back in and it bogged again. So I guess I need a new air filter. The one in there looks old but not dirty.? Also noticed a little oil in the bottom of the air filter tray. Haven’t researched that yet. Maybe trying to crank it for the past couple weeks with it never running caused that.? Also white smoke.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO