lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2022, 12:07 PM   #11
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1984 club car DS is weak.

I read through your other thread, sounds like your local shops want to sell you a new cart. I picked up an 86er this spring. It had a lot of fuel supply issues, cleaned carb three times I think, added a small psi electric fuel pump because I was getting oil in the pump line at higher engine speeds. Then the engine was starting and running fine, but couldn't drive it very slow due to sheave wear in the primary clutch. replaced that and now I can go slow or fast or anywhere in between, and have absolutely no problem driving it up a ramp door into an eclosed trailer.

Nowhere in this or the other thread did I see any mention of your drive and driven clutch condition, although several people mentioned it to you. If your clutches are not moving right, or the belt is too loose, you will have shifting problems, A loose belt (engine is on slotted holes to adjust) will cause the belt to be halfway up the primary clutch before gripping, Like starting out in second gear. A secondary clutch not closing all the way to get the belt to the outer edge will cause the same issue.

Look at this video to see how they are supposed to move...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Dpo1GfZ4Q
Scooter Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #12
Barrysuperhawk
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You are absolutely correct that the local places are wanting just to sell me something else.

You are also correct that I havent mentioned my clutches etc, so let me tell you now what I do know. When I very first got the cart, I took it to local place #1 for a "tune up" and service. When it was all said and done, they replaced the oil, and put in a new drive belt. They told me they couldn't fix the pedal issue because they did not have parts (see the other thread where I fixed it myself) but that when they changed the belt, everything looked fine. I figured out later that they did not change the plug, so I did that myself also. I guess I assumed that if something was malfunctioning in the belt system, they would have taken the opportunity to try to sell me more parts/service.

<lament>
Overall I did not really want this to turn into an ongoing maintenance project, I was originally just hoping to take it to a shop, let them sort it out, and just drive it. When Shop #1 did me dirty, I tried shop #2, which turned out to be worse. So, I have resigned myself to having to do my own work on this. I don't really have the time, but I also have little other choice, short of finding a new shop or local volunteer, so here I am, trying to learn what I can to make this thing do what I want. And spending hours working on it and a couple grand on "upgrade parts" is still cheaper than buying a different cart. <\lament>
Barrysuperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:18 PM   #13
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrysuperhawk View Post
I don't really have the time, but I also have little other choice, short of finding a new shop or local volunteer, so here I am, trying to learn what I can to make this thing do what I want.
What is local to you (where are you)?

And, putting on a new belt was something that would take them 5 minutes, and no tools to do, and could charge you plenty for. Anything more would require time and effort on their part that they didn't want to bother with.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:23 PM   #14
Barrysuperhawk
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am in the middle of Illinois. Fox lake doesent seem that far if you are volunteering...lol.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:55 PM   #15
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm in Fox Lake, WI, 110 miles north of Fox Lake, IL, about 45 minutes northeast of Madison, WI. I will private message you my phone number if you'd like to discuss bringing it up here for me to look at.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:57 PM   #16
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Nice talking to you this evening.

Here's a link to the new clutch I put in mine a couple months ago...

https://www.amazon.com/Bestauto-U500...d_bap_d_rp_5_t

This is the belt I put on at the same time. It's supposed to be a bit wider than the stock belt, and rides a bit higher in the secondary clutch, also causing a lower gear ratio...

https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Au...d_bap_d_rp_4_t

Here's a link to a thread about home made clutch pullers. The first post is the one you'll need, and I believe the threads in the clutch for the short bolt was 5/8" coarse thread...

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...clutch+removal

Good luck, and give me another call if you have any problems.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:01 PM   #17
Barrysuperhawk
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Guess y'all were right about my clutch...

Good Lord I've been 20 minutes trying to get these stupid pictures right you'd think with the state of technology today and everybody doing everything on their phones that trying to post a couple of stupid pictures wouldn't be so utterly horrendous.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:24 PM   #18
Barrysuperhawk
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So I'm just going to make a new post instead of try to edit this stupid thing again and lose my pictures. It seems at very least that my current clutches cracked and it doesn't look very healthy even just looking at it, but it also doesn't look like the clutch listed in the post above mine. So, is there a simple way to do a reality check to try to make sure that I order the correct part?
Old 06-19-2022, 08:15 PM   #19
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Barry, please see this thread I started about my clutch questions...

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...ch+replacement

The clutch I linked to in my previous post is the one I ordered and put on mine.
You will have to remove the steel starter/generator pulley from your old clutch
and drill 3 new holes in it to mount to the new clutch, but that's it.

No, it doesn't look like the one you have, but it will work. I've done it, and many
others have before me.

From the pics, you need to replace that clutch in yours.

Lots more info in this thread, including the s/g pulley swap issues...

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...acement&page=2
Old 10-17-2022, 09:18 PM   #20
Barrysuperhawk
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well by way of a small update I just ordered an allegedly 18 horsepower blue engine from Amazon today not because I believe it's superior, but because it will be here Friday and none of the other options that I have available to me are anywhere near that quick. I actually found a semi local golf cart shop that's willing to do the complete engine swap for me including sorting out all of the pieces parts that have to mix and match to make this work. Plus he has a lift and his shop which will make this whole process a lot easier. I'll see if I can get him to take pictures of the process, otherwise I'll post up pics of the end product.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car