lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2022, 08:15 AM   #1
Cappy3892
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation All electric cart speed control

I'm working on a project that requires the use of a cart moving at a constant velocity. I was hoping to be able to control it using a dial or other mechanical solution, or through some kind of code/GUI. I've looked into a few carts and speed controllers, but it seems like most of the market is designed to increase the velocity instead of actually controlling the velocity.

I don't have a brand or model picked out at this point but it has to be all electric. Whatever solution I go with needs to be readily available in my area (Ohio) and less than $15000. I'm not necessarily looking for help with the design of the control system (definitely open to suggestions though), but info about which carts would be able to get modified to allow me to do what I need to.

I appreciate any and all advice!
Cappy3892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: All electric cart speed control

As far as i am aware, most modern electric carts speed is controlled by either a potentiometer or an inductive throttle control signal to the motor controller. I am sure you can easily find a way to set a constant velocity with either. It may be worth looking at Lithium battery power for consistency in power delivery. Club car use a pot, ezgo use an ITS but I am not sure what Yamaha use. These are the three big brands available, but if you hang around, someone who knows what they are talking about will pop in with advice.

I am more of a Gas cart guy.
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:56 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

There is Wizard in here named "JohnnieB" he would be the person to contact about this.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 01:03 PM   #4
Cappy3892
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
There is Wizard in here named "JohnnieB" he would be the person to contact about this.
How do I go about summoning this Wizard? Do I need to say his name 3 times fast? I can't find a way to message on this forum.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:04 PM   #5
Cappy3892
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
As far as i am aware, most modern electric carts speed is controlled by either a potentiometer or an inductive throttle control signal to the motor controller. I am sure you can easily find a way to set a constant velocity with either. It may be worth looking at Lithium battery power for consistency in power delivery. Club car use a pot, ezgo use an ITS but I am not sure what Yamaha use. These are the three big brands available, but if you hang around, someone who knows what they are talking about will pop in with advice.

I am more of a Gas cart guy.
I appreciate you taking the time to answer. That definitely is going to get started in the right direction.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:49 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Take a page out of the remote control toy world. Use an Alltrax controller and 0-5k potentiometer with an arm or lever control. Then use a servo to operate the servo. Control is by transmitter.
It would be simple to operate the throttle this way on any series cart. If you need to change direction then I would go with a sepex drive and use a radio controlled switch
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:51 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Most an aftermarket controller can set the speed you desire and maintain it. The bigger question may be what speed do you need it to go?
2-3mph, or 20-30mph?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:49 AM   #8
bigfish99
Not Yet Wild

How do I get in touch with Johnnie B?
bigfish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 10:55 AM   #9
Cappy3892
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Most an aftermarket controller can set the speed you desire and maintain it. The bigger question may be what speed do you need it to go?
2-3mph, or 20-30mph?
1-5 mph probably.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:39 PM   #10
Cappy3892
Not Yet Wild

Post Re: All electric cart speed control

I created a new thread in a more relevant part of the forum, see link below.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...93#post1885393
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center