lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
IOUZIP
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default RoyPow 105 amp in Club Car Precedent Killed my Cart Brake Module

First my 2017 Club Car Precendent had original batteries. Before I purchased the cart 1 year ago it had headlight and taillight kit installed by the shop. Cart had no issues and I had just upgraded to the Plumb quick Bandit motor in Nov 2020. Batteries we getting weak so I figured it was time to get new.

Now onto my issue:

Purchased new RoyPow 105 amp battery pack with charger and mounting kit.

Removed old batteries, installed club car Precendent mounting bracket and RoyPow battery.

Hooked up the positive and negative cables to the RoyPow. Cart switch was in TOW and ignition was off. I pushed the power button on the RoyPow battery and immediately heard a pop and smoke was coming up from the brake pedal area. I turned off the RoyPow battery and began to investigate what happened. I pulled the pedal assembly and found the brake light kit that was installed had burned up the electronic device that delays turning off the brake lights. Since then I disconnected the brake kit wiring. The fact the RoyPow shorted the electronics makes me upset. This was to be a simple battery install DIY.

Turning on the RoyPow battery pack again and switching to RUN and ignition on I can operate the cart forward and reverse. The cart will power up and front head light works. Don't know why the brake switch fried?
IOUZIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
IOUZIP
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: RoyPow 105 amp in Club Car Precedent Killed my Cart Brake Light Module

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6209.jpg (206.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6191.jpg (214.4 KB, 0 views)
IOUZIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: RoyPow 105 amp in Club Car Precedent Killed my Cart

It looks like you reconnected the 12v light system directly to the pack without adding a 48-12v Reducer. That probably blew all of your bulbs if you turned on light switch. Good luck on finding a replacement brake switch timer. Don't know what effect that short circuit had on the Roy Pow. Does it power up now?
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
HeatWave
Getting Wild

Club Car

Going forward, have you already bypassed / removed the OBC?

You might consider changing the Main Battery Pack / Motor Cables to 2 Gauge Awg if you haven't done so already?
HeatWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Look for a blown fuse. You connected some 12V stuff to 48V - you need a reducer for that. Your previous cart may have connected the 12V stuff to one battery.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
It looks like you reconnected the 12v light system directly to the pack without adding a 48-12v Reducer. That probably blew all of your bulbs if you turned on light switch. Good luck on finding a replacement brake switch timer. Don't know what effect that short circuit had on the Roy Pow. Does it power up now?
I tend to agree...what are the blue wires coming from the pack positive going to. Pack is 51V, if you don't have a reducer hooked up (and I don't see a negative coming back), you will toast all your 12 volt stuff.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is no OBC on a 2017 Precedent so that part is fine.

Check the 15 amp fuse by the Controller, it is an ATO automotive blade type fuse located on the main harness near the bottom of the controller access panel.

You will need to get under the cart and pry the plastic protective cover over the Controller are to get access.

After you get a new light kit and 48v->12v converter, make sure the any ring terminals you add to the lithium battery post goes on top of the main power cable.

I would place a good part of the blame on the shop that did not install a reducer if they did not warn you about the possible consequences, that $100 you saved not only caused premature failure of the old batteries but it will now cost a new light kit.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
Lightning8U
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
There is no OBC on a 2017 Precedent so that part is fine.

Check the 15 amp fuse by the Controller, it is an ATO automotive blade type fuse located on the main harness near the bottom of the controller access panel.

You will need to get under the cart and pry the plastic protective cover over the Controller are to get access.

After you get a new light kit and 48v->12v converter, make sure the any ring terminals you add to the lithium battery post goes on top of the main power cable.

I would place a good part of the blame on the shop that did not install a reducer if they did not warn you about the possible consequences, that $100 you saved not only caused premature failure of the old batteries but it will now cost a new light kit.
Sergio - Spot on response ^^^ as usual! If the cart was wired properly from the get-go, this would not have occurred. We see so many improperly wired carts from nearly all of the 'reputable' cart builders. Buyers need to inspect carts before purchase or get help/input from a trusted source before buying a refurbished cart. Using a high quality ~$100 voltage reducer with an ignition signal is best, but even a $20 Amazon reducer will work if budget is an issue.
Lightning8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:47 PM   #9
rib33024

I didn't think he would come back
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium