lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
sapperaviator
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ GO 36V Intermittent Power

Hello,

I put new batteries in my 36V EZ-GO TXT. The label # I could find is 70913G01 so I believe its a 2001. My problem is usually when I turn on the key and push the pedal to go nothing happens, but the solenoid (I think) is clicking. If I continue to repeatedly push the gas pedal somewhere between 5 and 100 times it eventually kicks in and goes. Once it starts driving I have no issues with the power, but if it sits still for more than about 10 minutes it seems its a crapshoot if i will have to press the pedal multiple times again to get it to go. Im an electrical novice at best, but I did buy a multi-meter. I checked all the batteries and they come in at about 6.4v each and the system is at about 38.8v. Where do I check next? Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 85VGcAWHTSKDl05Q0Z3xzA.jpg (200.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Nq89FHAgR1GhEO5A4UOZLQ.jpg (208.9 KB, 0 views)
sapperaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO 36V Intermittent Power

See if you can locate a white 4 wire connector. It should be in front of your controller somewhere and may have a grey 4 wire cable running to it. This holds the throttle signal cables and is a known failure point. You can try unplugging and replugging multiple times to wipe the contacts.

The throttle box is under the floorboard. Any chance it got wet? Moisture plays havoc with the sensor in there.

There is also a voltage test for the throttle signal wires, but I don’t want to misquote it. It’s probably somewhere in the stickies above.

It looks like you have a series cart. Add that info in your post when asking for help so guys know. There’s a difference when troubleshooting the different drive types.

I don’t know if a solenoid starting to fail could also manifest in those symptoms. I know I’ve read they can click and not actually be engaged.

Hopefully one of the experts comes along soon.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
sapperaviator
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, I appreciate the help. I will check those spots out when I get home this evening. This thing has definitely been wet a few times. I will let you know what I find.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
sapperaviator
Not Yet Wild

The cart is working again. I found the connector you mentioned, it was pretty easy to trace that gray wire from under the gas pedal to the controller. I separated and attached it a few times and tested the cart....nothing. I did realize what I thought was the solenoid clicking was actually coming from under the gas pedal. I peeled back the rubber floor mat and removed the 4 screws to access the throttle sensor. I saw in another post that if there was moisture in there a using a hair dryer could remedy the problem, so I blew a hair dryer on there for about 5 minutes. Still nothing. That’s when I realized the key was off the whole time once I turned the key on it was working fine. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-31-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

well, at least you got it fixed. We all do something silly like that at one point or another. You learned a couple of things about your cart too, so that’s good. You probably noticed the little switch in the throttle box. That thing sometimes fails, so good to have seen it.

You might as well remove that connector you were able to locate. If you can solder, cut it out, solder the wires and cover with marine grade heat shrink. If you don’t solder, and don’t feel like learning, use crimp connectors and cover with the heat shrink. It’s a good preventative measure for something that has a high failure rate and can leave you stranded.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:08 PM   #6
sapperaviator
Not Yet Wild

Good advice. I guess I need to take that step next because I tried it again today and it’s back to its old self. It worked fine last night, but same problem today. Thanks again for the help, just curious because it seems to work once I step on the gas pedal way too many times for it to be practical...that the throttle switch could be going bad or the poor contacts in the connector could be the sole problem? Either way I will bypass the connector first.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #7
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperaviator View Post
Good advice. I guess I need to take that step next because I tried it again today and it’s back to its old self. It worked fine last night, but same problem today. Thanks again for the help, just curious because it seems to work once I step on the gas pedal way too many times for it to be practical...that the throttle switch could be going bad or the poor contacts in the connector could be the sole problem? Either way I will bypass the connector first.
Need one of the experts in here, but yeah, sounds like your pedal micro switch could definitely be bad. Put the cart on jack stands and see if you’re getting voltage through it when the accelerator is depressed. Or take it out and test for continuity. I think they’re pretty cheap.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:51 PM   #8
sapperaviator
Not Yet Wild

Turns out the FNR was fried. I replaced it and runs great.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:04 AM   #9
Michael4653
Not Yet Wild

I'm having a similar intermittent power issue and I'm wondering what the FNR is?
Michael4653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 09:38 AM   #10
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael4653 View Post
I'm having a similar intermittent power issue and I'm wondering what the FNR is?
Forward and reverse switch. Unless your issue is 100% identical (and even then) you may want to start a new thread, this one is pretty old.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO