lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Tim1977
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default 1977 D4 Steering box

I have a 1977 D4. The steering wheel almost makes a complete turn both directions before the wheels actually steer. Has anyone had this issue? I am assuming this could be a steering box issue? As I turn my steering wheel a gap appears between the base of the steering wheel and the top of the steering column. When I turn the wheel in the opposite direction, the gap closes. Thanks for any advice.
Tim1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1977 D4 Steering box

It sounds as if you might have a couple of different things going on...

It sounds like your worm gear on the end of your steering shaft is walking up (or down) in the steering box. This could be caused by loose or faulty bearings/races. You can confirm the looseness by pulling up and pushing down on the steering wheel - there should be no play.

You can possibly tighten the steering but the above issue needs to be addressed first. Once that's done, you can tighten the over-center adjustment screw to help reduce the free-play in the side-to-side turning.

I completely rebuilt my entire steering system and it still feels loose. You can probably make it much better, but it's just the nature of those old steering designs...
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

If you have a Service Manual for D4 or DE4, the steering section is on pages 2-26 through 2-29 and shows step-by-step on how to make the adjustments.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
Tim1977
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Thanks! I just downloaded the service manual. I plan on working on it this weekend. Are the bearings standard bearings? I work at an electric motor repair facility, and hoping I can buy what I need through work. Also, what technique is best for removing the steering wheel? Or is that an entirely different can of worms? lol Thanks again for the advice!
Old 11-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1977 View Post
Thanks! I just downloaded the service manual. I plan on working on it this weekend. Are the bearings standard bearings? I work at an electric motor repair facility, and hoping I can buy what I need through work. Also, what technique is best for removing the steering wheel? Or is that an entirely different can of worms? lol Thanks again for the advice!
I got my bearings & races from Vintage so I can't say if they're standard. As for removing the steering wheel, I'm no help there either. I was told to coat it with penetrating oil and shock it loose with a couple of good whacks. Didn't work. Tried a gear puller. Didn't work. Tried heat. Didn't work. Ended up having to cut it off with a grinder. It was so rusted on it was like it was welded. Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
Tim1977
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Thanks. I think I will save myself the frustration and just cut it off. Did you have to buy an adapter to replace the steering wheel? Or is that determined by the replacement wheel that you choose? Sorry for all of the questions, I have NO experience with golf carts. And the only reason I have a Harley, is because it was so cheap. However, I have grown to be very fond of it, nobody else at my campground has one. Everyone refers to it as the "Platypus". lol
Old 11-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Thanks. I think I will save myself the frustration and just cut it off. Did you have to buy an adapter to replace the steering wheel? Or is that determined by the replacement wheel that you choose? Sorry for all of the questions, I have NO experience with golf carts. And the only reason I have a Harley, is because it was so cheap. However, I have grown to be very fond of it, nobody else at my campground has one. Everyone refers to it as the "Platypus". lol
Wow, I never thought of that... it does look like a platypus.
I bought a modern steering wheel that does not have any splines, just mounting holes, so I had to have an adapter.

When you cut it off, be VERY careful that you don't mess up the threads or splines on the steering shaft. Those shafts are nearly impossible to find in good condition.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:52 AM   #8
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

An EZGO Steering wheel works!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
I used a pickle fork and BFH. man that thing was on there
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #10
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

If you are going to change the wheel --cut it off unless it is in good condition and look nice. Use the same procedure as you would use to pull a flywheel. The bearings are probably standard sizes. I changed mine around 9 years ago and had no difficulties getting new ones. Golf cart places sometimes have a little better price than commercial bearing sales. I remember I ordered direct from china and got much better prices but took a little longer. Pull it down and see what the problems really are. Improvise, adapt, And overcome! Semper Fi.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
box, steering
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson