lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2020, 12:43 PM   #11
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: HEI Conversion Information

Unfortunately, without having the cart in front of me there is simply nothing I co do to troubleshoot. I have done this conversion on 5 carts now via the instructions and others have successfully done it as well so i know it works. Some has to be amiss with your work somewhere.

Have you checked you other spark components mainly the coil and making sure you have power to it?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #12
Freckles
Gone Wild

Well, it works on points so i know its good. feel free to come check it out here in norther michigan lol.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:20 PM   #13
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Another poster found this product from "Princess Auto":

https://www.princessauto.com/en/gas-...t/PA0004780300

In looking at their wiring schematic, it matches how HD / Columbia carts are wired. I am guessing that this module with alleviate the need to procure an HEI module and make the circuitry entirely.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:55 PM   #14
pri_i_oh
Getting Wild
Columbia

Seriously? For 30.00??...lol...where was this thing years ago??? I may have to try that out since I just procured another columbia par car
pri_i_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:37 PM   #15
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Another poster found this product from "Princess Auto":

https://www.princessauto.com/en/gas-...t/PA0004780300

In looking at their wiring schematic, it matches how HD / Columbia carts are wired. I am guessing that this module with alleviate the need to procure an HEI module and make the circuitry entirely.
I must be totally stupid. How does it know when to spark? Something has to tell it when to spark? Would you still need the points for the hall effect? I think I've seen this module before or something similar in reference to a stihl chain saw and it used the points as hall effect.

Edit -- oregon 33-053. 18 bucks on amazon. Still don't know how it works on our application when something has to tell it when it spark.

Edit -- Nova -- Nova 2 -- 31-8786 -- 2 pack on ebay -- 25.99

Edit -- You tube video explaining how to use points. -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9gy8bwiYEs
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:06 PM   #16
tcanthonyii
Not Yet Wild

As a side note for anyone work on these

3d printing is a great hobby. I was able to print a project box to install my bread board in and keep dirt out.

Make sure your points are clean. Do not leave the cover off for testing and then drive down a gravel road/street. They get dirty and stop working again.

You can have the gap too large. While precise gapping doesn't matter it can be too big.

These were all things I learned today.
tcanthonyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #17
pri_i_oh
Getting Wild
Columbia

So has anyone tried the product from princess auto posted above? I have 2 par cars i want to convert and I like that idea even better
Old 10-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #18
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanthonyii View Post
I must be totally stupid. How does it know when to spark? Something has to tell it when to spark? Would you still need the points for the hall effect? I think I've seen this module before or something similar in reference to a stihl chain saw and it used the points as hall effect.

Edit -- oregon 33-053. 18 bucks on amazon. Still don't know how it works on our application when something has to tell it when it spark.

Edit -- Nova -- Nova 2 -- 31-8786 -- 2 pack on ebay -- 25.99

Edit -- You tube video explaining how to use points. -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9gy8bwiYEs

I just noticed this. The points serve as the Hall Effect trigger just like in your chain saw example. Modern systems use magnets for the Hall trigger but points do the same thing.

I have been told that what the modules do is create a much longer lasting spark so that timing becomes much less tedious. They also aren't really impacted by point wear much in that, because the spark lasts long, the cart doesn't have to be continually timed to match wearing points.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #19
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pri_i_oh View Post
So has anyone tried the product from princess auto posted above? I have 2 par cars i want to convert and I like that idea even better
Looks like you just volunteered! Really, I don't see how they can't work.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #20
pri_i_oh
Getting Wild
Columbia

Lol....well ****
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar