lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
adamj12b
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default 89 Par Car Extreme Overhaul!

Hey Guys,

I wanted to show you all the upgrades im doing to my Par Car.

My plan a few months ago was to strip it down, rebuild the fron suspension, improve the rear suspension, rebuild and tune the motor, double the voltage, fix the body, add a roll cage, bigger tires, and continue the work on the motor controller I had built.

Heres whats happened so far.

I started by getting the cart on jack stands. I removed the whole body, rear end, motor, rear springs and dampeners, and all electronics.

I took the motor apart and found that it was in really good condition for its age. I was tempted to change the brush's while i had it apart, but some motor friends suggested I just put it back together and let it be.

After thinking how I wanted to lift the rear of the golf cart, I figured out that with a little bit of work, the rear mono control arm could be flipped over and the differential remounted to the bottom like before, this could create a simple and cheep lift. It also allowed the new shocks to be mounted to the original damper mounts.

The shocks are off the front of a 2008 Can Am race quad. They are almost new. I was able to get 2 pairs of front shocks for 2 front in the front of the car and 2 in the rear.

After this was figured out, the golf cart got brought to my father-in-laws to have access to the welders and torch to help with the heavy metal work.

So over the past few weekends heres what has been accomplished.

The front control arms of the cart were removed along with the lower leaf spring, turn buckles, hubs...everything.

The brackets that mounted the arms were cut off the frame and moved forward 4 inchs then re welded on.

The new upper control arms were fabricated out of 1/2" steel pipe. the ends of the original control arms were cut off to and welded to the new arms for use of the bushings and camber adjustment system that was already in use. Pieces of steel were heated with the torch and bent into U shapes, then drilled for the piviot point on the top of the hubs. (orange tipped piece)

After this, we began work on the new lower frame in the front that will mount the lower control arms as well as help mount the winch and front bumper that will be added.

From side:

Front:

This new lower frame is the same distance lower from the top frame as the lower pivot point is on the hubs from the upper pivot point.

Well whats where progress is at right now. This weekend should be very productive in getting the new lower control arms fabricated and the front shock towers built. It should move without being picked up with the tractor for the first time in 2 months!!

Lift before new tires: (Mocked up in front*)

Check my Flickr album for more pictures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adambru...7620786221117/

-Adam
adamj12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 89 Par Car Extreme Overhaul!

Good going, keep up with the pics. You will enjoy your build when that snow melts.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

You just have WAY too much time on your hands.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
adamj12b
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Good going, keep up with the pics. You will enjoy your build when that snow melts.
I hope to use it before all the snow is gone. I will be water proofing all the electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Support View Post
You just have WAY too much time on your hands.
The problem is I dont have enough time. lol All this work has taking place only on the weekends. Only this week, have I been working on it during the week.

-Adam
Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

You're doing great it looks. That's a heck of a project. Let me know if you need any more part or drawing help.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Nice work, looks good so far.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
adamj12b
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Hey Guys,

I have had a little bit of time to work on the modifications to the rear axel this week.

I had to rotate the axel of the golf cart so that the motor once again pointed upwards at about a 40 degree angle. When I flipped the rear control arm, it caused the motor to stick straight forward under the golf cart.....a rock would have ended its life real quick.

I started by using my home-made plasma cutter to gouge the weld that held the mounting brackets to the axle tubes. I finished theses welds off with the angle grinder. Once the brackets were off, I ground the rest of the welds smooth with the rest of the tubes. This was all done Monday and Tuesday
night.

Last night I threw the stuff in the back of the truck, and headed down the road to my father-in-laws to weld the brackets back on in the new location. I bolted the brackets to the control arm for support, and propped everything up in jack stands like it is when its installed. I aligned the brackets so that they are in the same area that they were before, just rotated a bit. I then welded it all up. Heres what it looked like after being welded.

So then it was back home to paint. I hung it from the ceiling in the garage, set the heat nice and warm (6 and primed it with Rust-Oleum heavy rusted metal primer and waited about 40 minutes and gave it a coat of Rust-Oleum high gloss black. It will get 2 more coats before its done, One tonight, and one tomorrow night.

Enjoy the rest of the pics!!

-Adam

Old 03-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

You're doing a heck of a good job photo logging as you go. Looks like somebody is a bit of a packrat in the garage though....
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
adamj12b
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Thanks!!

Dont look at the garage I dont like it being like that, just done have enough room. We moven into the house in october and the garage became a catch all for the stuff that couldn't go in the house, Snow Blower, Lawn Tractor, Yard Tools....all that stuff. Once the weather gets nicer, im putting up a nice big shed to store all that stuff and have room to move again.

-Adam
Old 03-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
yamahag9er
Fry's Golf Carts

Club Car

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see more. There are not to many Par Cars out there.
yamahag9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides