lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
CoachTC
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 EZGo 2PG crank, no start

I'm stumped! I bought a non-running 1988 EZGO with a 2 stroke 2PG engine. I tinkered with it for a couple of days (new plug and fuel pump) and got it running. My excitement was short lived! It ran with a lot of choke for a few days and then quit running. I thought maybe it was the carb so I bought a new one but it didn't help. It has good spark, tons of air coming into fuel pump and decent fuel flow and 120 psi of compression. I took the muffler connection off and it didn't help...seems to have good flow through and out the tailpipe.

My next step is to dump the fuel tank. I put a gallon of 48:1 (I thought it I should mix it heavy on the oil since it had been sitting.) I then added a couple of gallons of 128:1 mix on top to see if that helped but it didn't. Could it be this?

Any other ideas of what might be going on? Would love some help! Thanks!!
CoachTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2020, 07:58 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 EZGo 2PG crank, no start

The manual is up in the stickies. On my way out the door.
Take apart and clean the original carb. Remove the center stem.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
CoachTC
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Cart! I have found a couple of manuals.

As for the carb, I'm not sure that came with the cart was the original. It has no air/fuel adjustment screw and the throttle spring was gone. That's why I thought it was a good idea to buy a new one. I even took it apart and made sure it was cleaned out!
Old 10-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
newtjl
Gone Wild

Sounds like a reed valve issue. I say that because it has compression, spark, and apparently fuel to the carb. The fuel in the carb is not making it into the cylinder head for the combustion process it seems. Id look at the reed valve.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Hit it with a shot of ether. If it tries to start, we look at fuel delivery. If it doesn't even try, we look at crankshaft seals.

I would also like to know if you were able to drive it while running on choke.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:50 PM   #6
CoachTC
Not Yet Wild

It does try and fire a little when I give it a shot of starter fluid. I questioned the reed valves as well. I pulled them out and they appeared to be in great shape! Can I have great air flow going into the fuel pump but not much "pull" to the reed valves?

Yeah, when I had it running, it was needing to be choked to run.

Could it be the timing?

Thanks again! I appreciate the help!
Old 10-20-2020, 02:21 AM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The timing is split between forward and reverse. If it was off, it would run really good in one direction. I'm not ready to call crankshaft seals yet, but they are still on the table. I think it's a carburetor problem.

Choking it reduces the amount of air. That means it either is not getting enough fuel, or it's sucking in air from somewhere. That's what we have to figure out.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #8
CoachTC
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so I removed the oil plug and put some gas straight to the reeds and nothing. I also tried some started fluid and I'm getting nothing.

I was removing the oil tank and plug so I figured I'd dig a little. Behind the fly wheel was really dirty. The pulsar (little electrical component that sits on crankshaft) was deformed on the end. Strange part is that I was getting a nice spark when I checked. Should I replace the seal while I'm here? I'm almost there right?
Old 10-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
CoachTC
Not Yet Wild

It's alive!! I cleaned up behind the flywheel, threw it back on, check the spark, put a little gas in the carb and it fired up!! It'll only start when I cover the carb intake with my hand. Super choke!! Not getting enough gas. But why??
Old 10-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #10
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

The next step I would do is pull the fuel line off the carb and crank it over to check the output flow, report back and we'll go from there
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO