lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #1
CrawfordD
Not Yet Wild

Default 6 pass EZ go build

Hi there, and greetings from old town scottsdale az.

So I lurked for awhile, and then started a build, which I figured I'd share. Got rid of a polaris ranger 700 and going high-power DC cart.

Traded for an older EZ go series, and I am in the process of doing the following, and yes, I'll try to get some pics up. Its a 6 passenger.

1) cleanup of 20 years of skank off the frame, and a squirrels nest of amateur wiring.

2) PlumQuick Demon motor, 17hp

3) AllTrax SR48600, with buggiesunlimited F/R and SW202 solenoid. 2ga welding cable for wiring.

4) 48v Lithium Ion packs (4x28aH) from a honda clarity hybrid, run in parallel. Car had about 350 miles on it when they came out. Total of 112aH, sourced from AZLithium (he's on ebay too, but local to me). Onboard charger programmed to 49.7v cutoff to prevent my garage from exploding lol.

5) 23" tires and jakes long travel kit.

6) Jake's hydraulic front brake kit to stop this beast.

7) Drain rear diff, blast out with 45,356 cans of brake cleaner, and refill with something new.

Right now, I'm cleaning, repairing body (the front seat base was all cracked), and repainting (royal blue), and figuring out how to wire in all this stuff. Stock harness was pretty hacked up, so I'm sure there will be some multi-meter fun in my future.

Buggies Unlimited is a little behind shipping my long travel parts, but I'm sure they'll turn up soon.

Has a DC-DC converter, which seems functional, and street legal kit with turn signals. Need some music capability and some auxiliary lighting, should be a great old town cruiser. Will be used to run around the neighborhood and work on my rentals, take dog to park.

Tossing some auxiliary fans next to the motor for extra cooling, and looking forward to getting this thing rolling!
CrawfordD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 6 pass EZ go build

Nice! Should be a heck of a ride when done.

I haven't seen the Honda cells before. If you get a chance please post some more info on those modules and cells. I'm guessing you are making a 12S4P pack? What BMS are you using?

I wonder if the 6 passenger used the same 12.44:1 rear diff or if they had a higher gear ratio for the extra weight? Is the PQ motor built for torque, speed or a bit of both?

Have you given much thought to a big bluetooth speaker or are you set on installing a stereo and speakers?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:54 PM   #3
CrawfordD
Not Yet Wild

I'll get some pics of them up soon, just got done securing them into the cart today and building some of the wires. Ran out of lugs, and had to order more.

From everything I'm reading and have read on the clarity packs, they are 28aH each, and can do a discharge rate of about 150a per pack.

Each one comes from the factory in a super strong aluminum housing, and is about 16" long, 5" tall and about 6" wide. Don't weigh much at all.

I'm running them in parallel to make a pack with 112aH total. Charger is programmed to stop at 49v, packs can take a max charge of around 50.7v, for safety. Hadn't planned on a BMS, I just tested all the cells in the packs before install, and they were balanced just fine.

The PQ motor is the Demon, which is a speed/torque setup. I know Robbie is kinda backed up, so it is supposed to ship this week, hoping soon. Using my social distancing time to be in the garage lol.

The biggest frustration with this build has been the Jakes lift kit and brake setup, which is on backorder, and they won't give me a time frame. Was supposed to be to me on 3/15/2020, and now its going to be.......???

So I'm going to wire in all the electrics and just run it stock tires until they show up.

And funny you mention the bluetooth thing, I was just looking and those and they look WAY easier than wiring in a radio. Any type/kind you have and like?

Also - I need to put a trailer hitch on this thing for my utility trailer - can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 03-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #4
CrawfordD
Not Yet Wild

For the batteries, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9IhJ3s_f1M

You can source them here: https://azlithium.com/shopexd.asp?id=152

Owner's name is Jimmy, super nice guy, and very knowledgeable. His whole house backup system (which he was kind enough to show me) is built out of these things. Pretty impressive.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #5
Captaintv
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Gonna be an awesome build. I’m looking for a 6 seat cart to and
a long travel and a Navitas 5kw AC setup though.
From what I’ve been seeing and hearing. Madjax/Nivel parts is moving to a new factory in Cairo,GA and are behind on building some new items. I live about an hour from there.
Captaintv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:45 PM   #6
CrawfordD
Not Yet Wild

Yep these 6 passenger carts are kinda hard to find, but they're out there. Lots of older ones to be found as country club surplus, but they'll need some work.

The lift kit from Jakes has been the tough part on this one, but I can understand how they might be backed up.

Really looking forward to seeing this thing done, I got the battery packs wired in (mostly) yesterday and just waiting on the motor to show up now.

Elected to keep it more of a "rat rod" so just cleaning up the old body and dash as best I can rather than throwing all new body parts on it. I don't want it too flashy.

If anyone has had good luck with certain bluetooth speakers please weigh in. I'll put some links up to my YouTube with the build.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a Bose Soundlink that is pretty darned good but you probably want something bigger. Depending on how big, Altec makes a good one, I saw it in person at Sams Club. I think this is the one I saw:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/altec-lan...lp_product_1_1

Sony makes some good ones too, if you have a Best Buy nearby then you can listen to them in person. It's a tradeoff. Good sound, Loud sound, cheap price and Small Package are hard to come by. If it were me, I'd look at the Bose. The Bose is still cheaper than buying speakers, wiring kit and stereo. Just my $0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
CrawfordD
Not Yet Wild

Guys/Gals - couple updates, and some questions.

Ok so I just got done wiring in my main battery system, and went with the more complex, but better balanced setup.

See this page for it, gotta scroll down to the bottom: https://greensarawak.com/things-to-k...-your-battery/

Did that for cell balancing and the ability to discharge as fast as possible just in case, ya know, I feel the need to go fast.

Almost done with the drive system wiring, and did have a couple of questions if anyone can help. I ordered a new key switch since the old one was shot, and need to know what tab does what on the back side of it.

More specifically, I need to know where the power input wire from battery goes, and then where the output wire that is fed into the key switch and then to the throttle box hooks up.

Does anyone have a simple key switch wiring diagram for the EZ-Go?

Rather than post a bunch of video here, I am just documenting this and will do a youtube link so people can see it there.

@bronsonj - I'll look at the bose, thank you. Seeing as we are all on lockdown around here, will have to just order some and see which works, and agreed, wiring in a whole stereo seems like a PITA and not worth it right now.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You talking about the standard ezgo switch? Look at the attached.

As for radios check out the AWIA boom box. Little larger but rocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 522261EA-5210-45A6-A88C-89F049CDF24A.jpeg (40.6 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #10
CrawfordD
Not Yet Wild

Awesome thank you for the help.

Anyone who is interested, the cart build is going up on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIvZZKMe-z0&t=126s

Got it cut into a few videos, but this will get you started.

Big thank you to everyone on this site, invaluable help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!