lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
TimOub007
Not Yet Wild

Question Should I get heavy duty rear springs or add-a-leaf springs?

I recently got a 1995 CC DS. It has an aluminum rear seat already on it. I guess whenever the seat was added the former owner(s) didn't upgrade the rear springs when they added the seat kit. I think this because this weekend when driving around with my buddy and his dad in the cart with me the rear tires were rubbing on the body.

So my question is, should I go ahead and replace the entire spring on each side or just use an add-a-leaf kit which costs about 25% of the price?

While I'm at it, I plan on adding a brush guard and basket to the front end. I want to hang a road feeder off the front of this brush guard when deer season comes around. I wonder if I should upgrade the front spring while I'm at it? Is there an add-a-leaf kit for this too or just a heavy spring?

Thanks,
Tim
TimOub007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Default Re: Should I get heavy duty rear springs or add-a-leaf springs?

Tim
We offer medium duty springs. Its a better single leaf that gives cart 250 lbs more capacitity. Great for hauling kids and small adults.
and
A 2 leaf Heavy duty spring which adds 500 lbs capacitity for hauling 2 full size adults and other heavy loads.

We designed these because the 3 and 4 leaf "heavy duty" springs out there are way to stiff and really sacrifice ride quality.

Don't know of a add a leaf for front just the HD.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
TimOub007
Not Yet Wild

BigBlockMan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was actually on your site looking at the options while you were typing.

So I plan on hauling mixed loads; sometimes only 1 other adult but sometimes a total of 4 adults with hunting gear. I think that the 2 leaf HD springs would probably be the best fit for me, model #SPN-1008HKT. Is that what you'd recommend?

How much extra capacity does your add-a-leaf kit give with the stock springs?

Same question for the HD front spring you offer. Will it be enough to handle a road feeder hanging on a brush guard? The feeder with corn will add 50-60 pounds on top of the weight of the brush guard and basket I plan. It sounds like I may be adding well over 100 pounds to the front end. Now the feeder will only be on there some times but I don't want to drag the front end when I put it on. Will the HD front spring stiffen the ride a lot when the feeder isn't mounted?

Thanks again,
Tim
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Yes if you are going to haul 4 adults and gear the HD 2 leaf would be the way to go. The HD front will handle the added weight and also the feeder. The add a leafs are really for occasional use with loads. They will add about 200 lbs capacity however if you severley overload them you can bend the original leaf backwards on the ends.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

ather thought with your feeder is to have someone ride on the back seat when using it. or throw a couple bags of something on the foot rest. this is the same theory as using counter weight on a tractor for the loader.

you could replace the front spring with a new stock unit and be really shocked at the results. i know that i was when i swapped out the one on my campground cart for a newer one. after 17 years in your case there has probably been a lot of sag. more on the drivers side too.

just my .02

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
TimOub007
Not Yet Wild

I placed an order a few days ago with Carts Plus for some 2-leaf HD rear springs and a new, HD front spring as well. I waffled a bit on going HD on the front end, but since I will do a brush guard, basket and the feeder I thought it best. If it roughens up the ride too harsh I'll get a new normal front spring instead.

Prices seemed fair and shipping was free.

Let's just hope these parts don't get lost in transit like my fender flares and voltage converter. I ordered these parts off eBay sometime last month and still haven't seen them. Seller claims FedEx admitted they were lost finally last week. Replacements are on the way. I was surprised when he shipped them with FedEx again. Fool me once, shame on me....
Old 05-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
Tim
We offer medium duty springs. Its a better single leaf that gives cart 250 lbs more capacitity. Great for hauling kids and small adults.
and
A 2 leaf Heavy duty spring which adds 500 lbs capacitity for hauling 2 full size adults and other heavy loads.

We designed these because the 3 and 4 leaf "heavy duty" springs out there are way to stiff and really sacrifice ride quality.

Don't know of a add a leaf for front just the HD.

Quick question, when going with your HD or Medium duty springs will it lift the rear of the cart at all? I understand if your stock spring is all sacked out any new spring will lift the rear a bit but I'm asking will it lift the rear above where a healthy stock spring would have it? I have seen some posts where people say it will and some where it seems to make no difference.

I would be interested in adding a medium duty spring at some point after I do my lift kit but wouldn't want it to make the rear end of the cart sit up higher than the front.
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
TimOub007
Not Yet Wild

I will let you know what it does for my cart when I receive them and get them put on.

Tim
Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

^^^^

Cool, thanks!!
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
vessmech
Not Yet Wild

BigBlockMan,

I have a question about installing your heavy duty spring kit on an 07 CC Precedent.

The HD spring is two leafs with a pin in the center. My current setup is only a single leaf - the bracket welded on the axle has a center hole but the plate on top of the leaf has no hole. Even were I to drill a hole in this plate for the HD spring pin the single U bolt holding the top plate and HD spring to the axle goes across the center of the spring and would interfere with the pin sticking above the HD spring.

How to avoid having this top plate and U bolt not interfere with the HD spring pin? I must be missing something on how this works.

Thanks for your help.
vessmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts