lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: fuse blows when charger is plugged in???

We need pictures of everything, then we can double check the wiring and setup, maybe something simple. We all overlook things from time to time.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
Ryan4t4
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Correct, it was running!

Got this cart free from the course (probably sat for ~10 years) without a charger after my first one was stolen out of the cart barn. I bought and replaced the batteries, micro switches, fuse and charger. 2 days ago I got it running and took it to the course for 9 holes.

I know I #$%@ed up running it on new batteries without charging it. After 9 holes it wouldn't crawl up the ramp on my trailer.

Got it home and was going to put it on the charger (cart still crawling at this point). Plugged in the brand new charger and the cart fuse on top of the charger recepticle popped before the charger even kicked on. Cart still crawled. Replaced fuse and cleaned out the recepticle of debris. Plugged in charger cord, detached from charger, and popped another fuse. Cart still crawled. Third fuse this morning, replaced all wiring off of the charger recepticle, plugged in the detached charger cord and popped the fuse again. Cart will not even crawl now. Same wiring setup, I assume the batteries are just about spent is why it won't crawl now???

Whatcha think? I haven't a clue what to do next......
Ryan4t4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Ryan4t4
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Here are some pics, sorry they look like a hot mess!

The cart was running with this setup, just not charging...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC230094.jpg (91.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg PC230095.jpg (88.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg PC230096.jpg (107.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
still crawled. Third fuse this morning, replaced all wiring off of the charger recepticle, plugged in the detached charger cord and popped the fuse again. Cart will not even crawl now. Same wiring setup, I assume the batteries are just about spent is
Your charger has a cord that can be detached from the charger itself, it isn't hard-wired to the unit?

If that's the case, and plugging the detached cord into the charge socket causes the fuse to blow, your charge socket is faulty. Disconnect the wires between the battery and charge socket, then check the socket with an ohmmeter.

Also, get a 12-volt automotive charger and get a charge into those batteries, ASAP.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sounds like your #10 wires that go to your charger receptacle are reverse polarity.
cwayaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #16
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Has nobody thought about a bad heatsink in the charger? If one of the diodes is blown on the heatsink strip it will cause the exact same symptoms. I understand it's a new charger, but I've seen plenty of new stuff that wasn't any good. Here's what I'd do. Take your multi-meter and insert the leads into the charger receptacle and make sure that there is full battery voltage to the receptacle in the correct polarity. The charger plug is labeled + and - on most models. Make sure it's right. If it is, you've probably got a shorted heatsink. It's a cheap fix. Part # 1015914 for Lester chargers.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
Ryan4t4
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Ok. Got it charging last night. Of course it was simple, I had the wiring on back of the charger receptacle wrong.

One more question. Now it won't run. Where should the black wire coming out of the V Glide go??? It appears that I am not activating the solenoid, not getting voltage across when the pedal is pressed.

The wiring diagram from the sticky isn't clear as to the back of the charger receptacle. It shows the black wire off the V glide going to the positive on the F/R. Then there wouldn't be anything on the other fuse post. Should there be another jumper on the negative side of the fuse, similar to the positive side???
Old 12-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
Ryan4t4
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

Thumbs up Re: fuse blows when charger is plugged in???

Everyone can sleep tonight!

Had the wires on the V Glide micro switch hooked up wrong. She's running and charging.

Now I get to play with hooking up the radio, lights and alarm. I'm sure I'll be back with plenty of questions soon.

Thanks for all the input and Happy New Year to all!!!

And since everyone likes pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before 1.jpg (85.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg At the Course.jpg (185.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg At the Course (1).jpg (142.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg At the Course (2).jpg (148.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-31-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

OK my take on this.
If it ran before and does not now AND you did not change any wires except the charger
receptacle then its either
A. the wire U moved on the charge receptacle (if that is all U moved) ,
to test this theory , move the wire back after U have it charged and see if it runs.
B. by hooking it up backward several times you have fried or hung the solenoid , tap on it and see if it will engage or just apply control voltage direct to small contacts to see if it engages ?

Never mind I type tooooo slow !
Good job
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car