lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
quickviii
Not Yet Wild

Default Speed me along, or keep me from stupidity.

I'm a new guy here, just joined last night. I started looking at modded carts after an employee of mine gave me a GSXR 750 bike that he had almost killed himself on. Then another friend gave me a clapped out electric Club Car. Well the evil scientist inside me reared his ugly head and very quickly said he had the perfect idea! I'm looking for some answers to a few questions. I'm guessing some of you have pulled this off before and therefore save me considerable time. Yes I want to put the Club Car motor and batteries in the bike!.. Errr, wait an min... Oh yeh, I want to put the GSXR engine in the Club Car! (I told you he was evil!). So I have a nice steering, body and chassis. I also have an ezgo 4 stroke rear axle assy. My thoughts are to mount the torque converter (EZGO) on the output shaft of the bike tranny, giving me the ability to run the engine in gear and the cart not moving untill I give it some gas. If I can't do that than a jackshaft with the converter that is chain driven from the engine. Still keeping the ability to only move when throttled up. Also of course keeping reverse!. Now dumb question. Will the rear axle assy stand up to a fair amount of abuse from a 137hp engine? Also anyone out there with a few hard fought lessons in a better way? Now I am also going to use a paddle type shifter assy so I don't have to use a clutch pedal. The clutch would automaticly be depressed and then the next gear selected via a electric power steering pump driving three slave cylinders, one for the clutch and two for the upshift/downshift options. A momentary switch can be added to disable ignition when shifting, if needed. I am a master level fabricator (design and build tube chassis drag cars) and don't forsee anything mechanical being a problem. Rear axle longevity and Torque converter mounting are the only two things that I have questions about. I am also going to widen the cart and lengthen the wheel base slightly for better stability. Also plan on incorporating hydraulic disk brake assy on all 4 corners via go-cart technology. So if there is anyone out there who can help me, or at least save me from myself, please throw some thoughts back at me!! Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna like it here.
quickviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
napalaz
Gone Wild

Default Re: Speed me along, or keep me from stupidity.

I have been pondering a similar project for some time what I was thinking of doing is making a rear axle similar to a solid axle on a go cart and use the sprocket that came off the bike. I would have to build a swing arm for the rear suspension and the engine cradle would be part of the swing arm my only concern would be reverse. If you use the stock rear your gear ratio will suck. It will basickly be a big realy fast go kart In my case I would not have to wory about a clutch set up, the doner bike was a 400 hondamatick no clutch just high and low
napalaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
quickviii
Not Yet Wild

Well, gear ratio is a concern. But I can change sprockets later and can use the bike tranny in different gear selections to taylor my performance. I do want to keep reverse. I want to try to use an orginal starter/alternator to start the engine when I depress the pedal. Thats not a big deal considering I could just use a starter button to fire the engine with the bike starter and just let it idle. My issue with using a straight rear axle will be that it doesn't have the "differential" action. It will want to scrub the rear tires on every turn. It will be a street cart so I would like to keep the differental. Not to mention the reverse option. Helps with steering and control when you don't want to slide the rear end on every turn. Also saves wear on tires. Oh and I have to correct myself. It isn't a 750 engine it's a GSXR 600. But I'm sure it will still be able to exceed my expectations.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
napalaz
Gone Wild

ive seen a bunch of set ups like what you want on utube what most people do is use a rear axle off a quad
napalaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

we did a 6oo bike motor in a cart last year we kept the stock rear end after all that work the cart did 8 mph in 6 gear not good . it has an atv rearend in it now and it will pull 4 gears of wheelie go with a atv rear end dont wast your time with the stock one. oh and welcome to BGW
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 AM   #6
quickviii
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response. I have the ability to machine my own parts, I could possibly mount an extension of the output shaft to mount a larger drive gear to increase converter RPM's. This is a great response though, it is what I need to keep me from wasting time doing the wrong thing. Is there anyone out there who has done it with the stock rear? I really need the reverse!!!! As a side note my biggest concern is the ability of the stock rear end to stand up to the high horsepower engine. I can overcome the gearing situation. Even if I had to machine a extention of the tranny output shaft to mount a larger drive sprocket driving a smaller gear on the jack shaft.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
eebasist
Not Yet Wild

This sounds along the lines of what I plan to do with my Kawasaki.

Here is what I found. You need your drive clutch to spin 6000 RPM or so (depends on your clutch max speed), this will limit your speed. To do this you need to connect the output of the engine to a jackshaft. You wont be using your clutch or gears.....you should just have to leave it it one gear and go....remember this is a cvt transmission, no need to use both transmissions.
eebasist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
quickviii
Not Yet Wild

The jackshaft seems to be the answer. But I still have a concern that the stock rear end assy won't stand up to the abuse. Most folks who have done this have used a stock ATV rear suspension assy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center