lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
Ehurtt
Not Yet Wild

Default Harley Davidson Golf Cart makes a metal sound when running.

When driving the golf cart it makes like a metallic sound as if something is grinding or touching while it is in drive. I have lubed up everything I can think of and can not see what the problem may be or what is causing the sound. It is not a loud sound but I have noticed it over time. Anyone else ever run into this?
Ehurtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
Scooter_Trash
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Harley Davidson Golf Cart makes a metal sound when running.

What year car do you have? That could be lots of things...
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:32 PM   #3
newtjl
Gone Wild

Clutch, engine mount, rear end, a loose muffler, all candidates. Take off the drive belt and run the engine. If it still makes the noise, your rear end and driven clutch are good. If its still rattling, remove the drive clutch. If it still rattles, your drive clutch is good. Keep working your way back to the engine.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtjl View Post
Clutch, engine mount, rear end, a loose muffler, all candidates. Take off the drive belt and run the engine. If it still makes the noise, your rear end and driven clutch are good. If its still rattling, remove the drive clutch. If it still rattles, your drive clutch is good. Keep working your way back to the engine.
2 Thumbs Up.

I have this issue on one of my 85 Columbias which are pretty much the same engine. My noise in internal to the engine, unfortunately, likely the bearings. It's really loud. I have been waiting for the bearing to fail so I can tear things down but, son of a gun, the thing just keeps running.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:40 PM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
2 Thumbs Up.

I have this issue on one of my 85 Columbias which are pretty much the same engine. My noise in internal to the engine, unfortunately, likely the bearings. It's really loud. I have been waiting for the bearing to fail so I can tear things down but, son of a gun, the thing just keeps running.
Don't wait too long;
Mine had evidence of the crank throw touching the inside of the case, and also the starter belt pulley on the clutch touching the outside of the case...... But I also had excessive lateral end play on the crank so I wasn't too surprised, took care of it on the rebuild with more shims
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davidson, golfcart, harley, metal sound
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson