Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
neckmcd
Not Yet Wild

Default 1972 Golfster 36v Trophy 300 purchase and rebuild

So a couple months ago my buddy and I snagged 3 70痴 era Cushman 3 wheeled golf carts. Two were almost identical direct drive electric golf carts. I liked the oddball one as it just had a flat deck instead of seats in its current position. I became the proud owner of a 1972 Cushman Golfster 36v Trophy 300 model 898108-7210. From inspection everything looked to be there, even if it was in rough shape in a few spots. Next step was to at least get 36v to it to see if it had any life. I used 3 car batteries in series just to see if it would move. I know this is not the proper way to do it, just wanted to make sure it moved. Only hooked it up for a second and it lurched forward when I pressed the accelerator. So I decided to go to the step of getting batteries. Through a little horse trading I got rid of an older road bike towards 6 Deka Pro-master GC15 6v batteries with 120min 75amp rating. I made 1/0 gauge connections for the batteries.

Now is where I start loosing my knowledge of golf carts, but I知 sure I値l pick it up easily. From what I have found I do not have a system with a circuit breaker, which I would like to add sometime. I am currently trying to hard wire this without a key as I don稚 have one, but also plan to add. So that leaves me with a wire that came from the speed controller to the key, I知 sure I will have to complete a circuit with this. Does this wire just go to a ground?

I also have a wire from the right side front of the solenoid that needs to be hooked up. From what I知 reading it may have gone to a brake switch buzzer, which I cannot find if I have one.

I have a button for a horn and a switch for lights but I have none of that hooked up.

My goal is to get this thing to roll first. I知 sure I will have questions as I go through this. I can稚 post pics yet as I am a newb, but as soon as my first week is up I will get pictures of progress. My first thought is getting a 36v solenoid to replace the original as it is old and for the price of it I don稚 want that hanging me up. Any thoughts or input on this would be great.
neckmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
neckmcd
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1972 Golfster 36v Trophy 300 purchase and rebuild

Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
neckmcd
Not Yet Wild

Oh I guess I can post pics. Well here is what I’m working with so far.

Which goes to the solenoid + or -? Then the other goes to the bottom right on the drive selector.

I have one white wire that goes from what should have been the key to the switch in the speed controller and the other on the switch goes to the front left post on the solenoid.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #4
neckmcd
Not Yet Wild

As far as I can tell this is the wiring diagram I should be using. Anyone correct me if I知 wrong, but this is about all I could come up with of close to that era. GC300 and CG400 I believe.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:17 PM   #5
MILLERTIME
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I like it.
MILLERTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:52 AM   #6
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cool cart! I'll be following your progress and add peer pressu.....I mean advice where I can.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #7
neckmcd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
I like it.

Thanks, should be a cool little utility cart when I知 done.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:12 AM   #8
neckmcd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Cool cart! I'll be following your progress and add peer pressu.....I mean advice where I can.

I appreciate heckling, banter and all around just letting me know I知 doing it wrong. [emoji12]
Old 08-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think Lochlin may be able to help you out here. He seems to be a guru with these older electric carts.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #10
neckmcd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
I think Lochlin may be able to help you out here. He seems to be a guru with these older electric carts.

Thanks Mike. Hope he sees this, I値l get a little more work in on it before I bother him. But I知 sure I値l have some questions.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration