Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > For Sale > Golf Carts and Parts
Golf Carts and Parts *No Commercial Ads

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
Chrisx88
Not Yet Wild

Default Bench seat

Looking for a bench seat for my G1. Anyone got anything at all? Torn vinyl is fine, i can reupholster.
Chrisx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2019, 11:12 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Bench seat

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302625730680

I’ve seen those online- but that is expensive for something you could make yourself. Get some foam from some old couch cushions, cut some plywood, and upholster it with vinyl. It couldn’t cost more than $50 total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:34 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post

I’ve seen those online- but that is expensive for something you could make yourself. Get some foam from some old couch cushions, cut some plywood, and upholster it with vinyl. It couldn’t cost more than $50 total.

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post

Couldn't agree more.

An electric knife makes it MUCH easier to trim and shape the foam. And you can make it whatever size/width/thickness you prefer.

old couch cushions - Free (search CL or Facebook)
Plywood - $20
Vinyl - $7.99/yard at hobby lobby. (1 yard is plenty for a bottom and a back but if you've never done it before, get 2 yards just in case... it's cheap)

The only additional stuff you'll need are a razor box cutter for trimming the vinyl, staples (I prefer 1/2"), and a decent staple gun. No need for anything fancy, but it is miserable trying to recover a seat with a gun that keeps jamming up. Don't ask me how I know. Hobby lobby has a nice manual one for about $7 if I remember right, I don't think i've ever had it jam on me and i've used it to create or recover at least 20 seats (golf carts and ATV's).

I made my own seats in both my G9 and in my Club Car. The hobby lobby vinyl isn't the greatest in the world, it will tear if abused by trees (again, don't ask lol) but... for the most part holds up great. And it's plenty cheap enough to not worry about. I'd rather spend $6.99 and recover the seat every few years than spend $50 for marine grade vinyl. It only takes about 20 minutes to recover a seat once you've done a few. I've only ripped one seat that i've done, and that was entirely my fault (tree branch... the day after I recovered the seat backs go figure lol) but the seat in my G9 still looks like I did it yesterday and that was about a year ago when I did that. But I always park my stuff indoors too. They get rained on sometimes, it's never affected them. But if you keep it stored outside maybe the marine stuff would be worth the extra money for the UV protection/longevity. For me, the cheap stuff works great and I don't worry about it... because there is NOTHING in the world a cat loves MORE than a freshly covered seat for some reason... drives me insane!

A couple things i've learned... you can't pull it too tight. it's not going to tear on you. Don't worry if there's some small creases from having the vinyl folded, just stretch it good and after you park the cart in the sun for an hour it'll be gone. And round the corners pretty good on the plywood and foam, so you don't have to "fold over" the edges at the corners. it'll stretch around the rounded corners for no seams nicely. Watch some YouTube videos and you'll see how easy it really is with nothing but some basic tools.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

If this isn't the way you want to go, boat seats work great and can be very affordable.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Like the New Guy says. I have seen lots of these old Yamahas and Harley carts fitted with boat seats. Works and looks good.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #7
Hit it like a champ
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would love to see the boat seats. I have been looking at these but it is hard to pick a seat without looking at the quality and without sitting in it.
Hit it like a champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit it like a champ View Post
I would love to see the boat seats. I have been looking at these but it is hard to pick a seat without looking at the quality and without sitting in it.
Most any boating supply place will have these in stock for you to look at.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > For Sale > Golf Carts and Parts