lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Bypassing the OBC on Precedent?

I have a LV4800 automatic 25 amp charger. I bought for my project series cart with no OBC. I would like to try it on my 08 precedent 4X12. On the LVS site they have a 1 wire step for bypassing the OBC for charging. It doesn't state how large (ga) of wire should be used for the bypass. It also states once you splice the neg wire behind the charger recepticle, to run it to the neg post on the furtherest back battery on the drivers side, which I would call bat#2. The setup in the diagranm is a 6 battery system so I wanted to be sure in a 4 battery system. I know that the powerdrive II charge system is a good one but my 4X12's are on their last leg and I can't get a new set right now so I just wanted to see if this 25 amp charger will give my batteries a little more life. Here is the diagram.

Thanks

http://www.lvssales.com/ComputerInstructions.pdf
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Bypassing the OBC on Precedent?

you need to hook the wire to #4 battery it should be the one with a cable running thur OBC as for size i would go at least 10 gage since thats the gage coming out of the receptical................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Shadow!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

your welcome...............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

I spliced the black wire out of the charge recepticle before the OBC and ran it to the battery #4 neg and it worked good. I have one other question though, with this bypass wire on, will the powerdrive II charger still work if I plug it in? If I try it, can it hurt anything? I thought it might work because I didn't cut the wire but spliced it so it is still hooked up both ways.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

Looked at the schematic all your doing is bypassing the OBC by installing a new ground wire that is not controlled by the OBC you could put a switch in the new line and then use either or chargers if you remember to switch the switch
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
gaminde
Gone Wild
Club Car

how much is this charger if my obc goes bad I would rather put the money into a good charger and pull the obc out.
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
I have one other question though, with this bypass wire on, will the powerdrive II charger still work if I plug it in? If I try it, can it hurt anything? I thought it might work because I didn't cut the wire but spliced it so it is still hooked up both ways.
actually, you would need to cut the wire for this to work in the manner you suggest. like gaminde mentioned, use a DPST switch to toggle between the two chargers.

the problem i see with this setup is with the power measuring function of the OBC... the trend is that the OBC will crap out, cook your batteries, etc if you look at it funny. throwing another charger into the mix sounds like a guarantee for less than desirable results.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thats cool, I wasn't really wanting to switch between chargers just wanted to know if it would work. I will more than likely just unhook the bypass and go back to the powerdrive charger. I just wanted to see if my batteries would charge any different with this 25amp auto charger. I know they are getting weak but wanted to eleminate an OBC problem. I had sent Trojan an email a while back letting them know that these 2 year old 12V's were pretty weak and they passed the buck to CC saying that that modle of Precedent had an OBC problem. I didn't think that was the case but just checking it out before I got new batteries.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car