lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
bfdaddy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Newbie needs advise! Marathon lift

Hello out there! What I have is an 86 ezgo marathon 2cycle and Iam looking to get a lift. I have seen that they sell a 4" and a 5" lift and that not all lifts are equal. The 4" discription says it will allow for up to 22" tires. I plan on using the cart during the hunting season and back and forth to the pool in the summer. Thanks ahead of time.
bfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie needs advise! Marathon lift

BF, I have a 88 that I put the cheapy 4 " lift on with I think 20's They were some 4 wheeler tires I had sitting around from a Mojave. It does great and I am happy with what I have. It is a little sluggish going up hills,but I don't know how it did before the lift as I put it on as soon as I got it. I took it out today in the deep snow today and it really didn't like it. I had the shorter belt sitting here and put it on and it was like nite and day. Had no trouble after the belt install
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
bfdaddy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice. I thought about building my own 6" lift and running 22x11x8 tires I found for about $245. Does that make any sence? I looked at how the lifts are make and there isnt much to them and I have access to alot of heavy steel. Just Dont want the lift/wheels to make the cart really narrow and tall and want to tip over, or am I over analizing this. Has anyone done this before and has there been any clerance issues? Just throwing around ideas before I settle on something.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
rib33024

Here's one they lifted

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdaddy View Post
Thanks for the advice. I thought about building my own 6" lift and running 22x11x8 tires I found for about $245. Does that make any sence? I looked at how the lifts are make and there isnt much to them and I have access to alot of heavy steel. Just Dont want the lift/wheels to make the cart really narrow and tall and want to tip over, or am I over analizing this. Has anyone done this before and has there been any clerance issues? Just throwing around ideas before I settle on something.
If you have the tools and talent, build it, it's only time. The front is only blocks with plates on the top and bottom. Just make sure the plates are lined up perfectly or it could throw your front end off. The blocks welded to the plates will need center holes in them to fit over the spring bolts, Then a couple u-bent strapes from 1/4 for the front spring shackles. The rear lift is just 2 pieces of tubing welded together, one the inside diameter of the coil and 1 the outside dia so that it inserts inside the coil. Then straight steel like the old time shakel lifts for leaf springs for the shock mounts.Or build them a little better as I didn't really like them. I would think about a piece of maybe 1 inch sq tube with flats at the top and bottom. I would think 5 inch would be plenty for 22's I have a 4 inch lift with mine and I wouldn't be afraid to put 22's on mine now.
Oh and you could put a little angle on the front blocks so you wouldn't get that leaned back look like the one pictured above. But that one is a little to much for my taste . Needs bigger wheels, like 12's. JMO
Old 12-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
bfdaddy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replys! I have one of the front leafs broken at the front plate and looked online and found 2 different types. One with 2 leafs(stock) and one with 3 leafs(heavy duty). Do you know if there is any height difference between the two or anything I should be aware of? Plan on replacing both, before I go foward and build the lift. Thanks again!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
alarep5
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

This is my 88 with my own design lift.
dual full leaf springs in front via frame extension then rear swing arm lift with mount bracket extensions
alarep5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
bud light
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you are not looking for ground clearnce that lift is ok. It will only lift your boby not your axles.
But if you need the ground clearnce you will need a drop axle lift kit.
bud light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud light View Post
If you are not looking for ground clearnce that lift is ok. It will only lift your boby not your axles.
But if you need the ground clearnce you will need a drop axle lift kit.
Well I don't think they make a dropped axle for the marathon, so we are stuck with the blocks, but you could build your own dropped axle, or I don't see why you couldn't use a newer dropped axle with the newer spindles.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Keep in mind,you may gain clearance with a drop axle,but you will still crash the rear-axle and possibly the motor,since they are low no-matter what you do.So,you still need to watch what you go over.There is nothing wrong with block-lifts,as long as they are installed correctly.Also you can fit 22's with 4".You can modify your axle into a drop-style,if you have the fabrication-skills,or know someone that does.I did mine,its' been pounded for 2 years and goin strong.The rear you can make spacers as other posts mentioned.For shocks,either make extensions or use a Monroe 32207,It bolts on with 4"-6"lift.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts