lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
Bud the junkman
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Carb adjustment for 23hp Vanguard

I bought the "repair manual" from Tom at Dixie, as well as the Vanguard. The engine now has about 12 hours on it, and I can't get the carburetor to idle low.
First problem is the Air Cleaner covers the engine like a military helmet. When removed you can access everything, but the manual says that the carb needs final adjusting with air cleaner installed, which it covers all adjustment features and there is no way to make final adjustments.
Ok, if you forget about the air cleaner, when the "Throttle Lever" is held forward against the screw, you can adjust for nice 900-1200 RPM, but as soon as you let go of the throttle lever, the throttle cable & spring over come the thin spring holding the throttle lever against the screw. After a few seconds, the lever is no where near the screw & the idle is up to 2500 +++.
You can punch the gas peddle a few times and get the idle down, after a back fire or two, then it will creep back up to 2500+++.

It looks like the spring that holds the throttle lever against the screw is too weak. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Also, I see where a few people are using the K&N air filter, which gives better access to carb adjustments, but I don't see where to buy the adapter kit. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,
Bud
Bud the junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
pbillyi69
shut up & hang on

Club Car

Default Re: Carb adjustment for 23hp Vanguard

my engine isn't here yet but i think a stronger spring would fix that problem. i think that they sell the k&n kit where you bought the engine. don't know for sure but i do know that not everything they sell is on their web site..
pbillyi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Carb adjustment for 23hp Vanguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud the junkman View Post
I bought the "repair manual" from Tom at Dixie, as well as the Vanguard. The engine now has about 12 hours on it, and I can't get the carburetor to idle low.
First problem is the Air Cleaner covers the engine like a military helmet. When removed you can access everything, but the manual says that the carb needs final adjusting with air cleaner installed, which it covers all adjustment features and there is no way to make final adjustments.
Ok, if you forget about the air cleaner, when the "Throttle Lever" is held forward against the screw, you can adjust for nice 900-1200 RPM, but as soon as you let go of the throttle lever, the throttle cable & spring over come the thin spring holding the throttle lever against the screw. After a few seconds, the lever is no where near the screw & the idle is up to 2500 +++.
You can punch the gas peddle a few times and get the idle down, after a back fire or two, then it will creep back up to 2500+++.

It looks like the spring that holds the throttle lever against the screw is too weak. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Also, I see where a few people are using the K&N air filter, which gives better access to carb adjustments, but I don't see where to buy the adapter kit. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,
Bud
Get ahold of Tom " And shake him like a rag doll ".
He should have the answer...
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Bud
Adjust some slack in cable between governor and carb or gov and pedal. One of em's to tight.
You could put a heavier return spring on but if you gas it and it comes back spring is fine. You solved it yourself when you said it will rev itself up from just sitting idleing. The only way that happens is if something is PULLING it open. Your just wasting time trying to adjust mixture when the lever is not returning to idle screw.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
Bud
Adjust some slack in cable between governor and carb or gov and pedal. One of em's to tight
Hey Buddy...
Old 07-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouth View Post
Get ahold of Tom " And shake him like a rag doll ".
He should have the answer...
Hey Buddy

Speakin of shakin something like a rag doll, GET THAT OUTTA YOUR HAND.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Hey Buddy

I thought I was alone...
Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hey Buddy

pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
Bud the junkman
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Bud
Adjust some slack in cable between governor and carb or gov and pedal. One of em's to tight.
You could put a heavier return spring on but if you gas it and it comes back spring is fine. You solved it yourself when you said it will rev itself up from just sitting idleing. The only way that happens is if something is PULLING it open. Your just wasting time trying to adjust mixture when the lever is not returning to idle screw.
Tom,
You were correct, the cable was too tight. We can now get the idle down, but still having problems accessing the other adjustments.
Do you have an opinion on the K&N Air Filter system?
Can anyone point me in the direction of the adaptor kit?
Thanks,
Bud
Bud the junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
shawn.m
Gone Wild

frank at alphacarts.com or performace vtwin al hodge check the sticky on vtwin performance parts that i posted

you only have two external adjustments with the 23hp carb. idle and idle mixture. as soon as you add the k&N you can cut the tabs on the idle mixture screws and go up another 1/2 turn. this helped my 20hp
shawn.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!