lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
1chrisapple
Getting Wild

Default 460 big block starter ???

Ok so I have a 89 cc ds that I swapped a vegas cart 460 into. I also removed what was left of the original wiring harness. I installed a old style ford starter solenoid in place of the original. I am activating the solenoid via one of the micro switches in the throttle box.it works but the way its setup it is keeping power applied to the starter the entire time the gas pedal is pressed.even when the cart is running.so I am asking on an original setup how does the starter side deactivate once the cart is running??
1chrisapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 460 big block starter ???

OK for the original gen in the cart: Usually they wont work because a car solenoid is not constant duty, likely you will have problems with it soon. It stays on all the time because once the gen is going higher rpm than starting it does not apply power to the engine so it does not really take power to run. The gen is wired and timed to run an rpm that only starts the engine at 400rpm or whatever it is, a DC motor is made to run a certain rpm range, it is the same thing if you go down a grade with an electric cart it does not go a lot faster because the motor stops making power at higher rpm you only get speed from going down a steep hill (where the weight of the cart helps) once above max motor rpm. When the VR excites the gen windings it will charge the battery if voltage is high it will not excite them....but the cables are connected via solenoid the entire time it is running. This is actually the first version of a no idle hybrid that cars do now. If you turn the solenoid off and its still running it will not charge that way. The constant duty solenoids cost more because they can stay on. Any DC motor can be a generator, these have a special winding in them the VR can send power through that causes them to charge that way it can be regulated to keep the battery up properly.

If you put a clone starter on the VC460: You cant run it that way, you need a starter button or key start switch like a lawnmower.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
1chrisapple
Getting Wild

so essintially they do stay in start mode at all times??
Old 09-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The stock cart generators do yes. But like I said they don't make any power or take any once the engine is running above start rpm. They will charge when VR tells them to, but they can't make power at high rpm.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
1chrisapple
Getting Wild

Ok so.i used an automotive starter solenoid in my setup.which is giving up on me rather quickly.it seems it gets hot and wont engage. But if I pour water over it to cool it down its ok. I'm thinking I just need to replace it with a continous duty solenoid.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yes, I replaced mine a while ago it was $60+ I think but that was yamaha style like stock. You might find others cheaper, you can use about any constant duty with enough current for that, which is far less than a car starter.

2014 it was $63.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
1chrisapple
Getting Wild

Thnx sho
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps